How does a SAHM get ahead with $40.00 to her name?

Husband told me last night that his job of three weeks is ending the end of this week. Delay starts with upcoming work approx. 4/6 weeks. He said he was coming home with one paycheck again.

I hate this the kids and I are always dependant on what he does. And what he does never lasts.

I need advice.

SeejayC5

Asked by SeejayC5 at 7:02 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• I'd start putting in job applications. In my opinion, a steady pay check is better than an unsteady "higher" pay check. At least if you know what's coming in every month you can work with it.

Try selling plasma too. Google the city you live in and the word plasma or plasma center. If you and your husband can both do that twice a week you can bring in about $500 a month. I know that's not enough to survive but it's a lot better than what you've currently got. And something is better than nothing.

Also sell any items you no longer need or want until you can start bringing in a pay check.

Take a hard look at your expenses and see what you can do without until you get back on your feet.

GOOD LUCK! Let me know if you want more advice/help!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:09 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you....and have been there.
    It's tough...but you can do it. Find a plan and have the aditude that failure in NOT an option! You'll be amazed what you can accomplish. Once you decide to take control and have the "no matter what" in you head...you'll feel so much better.
    Look into some things you can do from home. Maybe right now you will need to babysit or some other type of job that will bring you in some steady income. But be looking ahead to something that will be there for the long term too.
    Good luck and hang in there.
    lradant

Answer by lradant at 7:24 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Get a J-O-B
    I don't think that SAHMs should stay home if their household is having financial problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:45 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• If you or jor husband would like some help with your job searches, please contact me.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:39 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• There are lots of ways to make money online. Some require investment, but I stay away from those. It's too hard to tell which ones are scams. I stick with the free ones and I've been able to average about $1500/month or more for the last 6 months. I listed and ranked the sites I use at Earn Money Online

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 9:59 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Look into at home daycare, you get a few other kids to watch you get to stay home with your own kids. I know of a husband and wife they do the daycare together. It works for them.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 10:13 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Your going to have to get a job only way to not be dependent on what he does. Work nights at a place like Walmart they are still hiring in many areas and pay more for overnight hours. You will be tired but as moms we do what we have to and you would not need daycare since your hubby would be home. Guys that make poor decisions with work seldom change so if you are going to be with him you need to accept he will be that way and you take charge.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• "Get a J-O-B
    I don't think that SAHMs should stay home if their household is having financial problems. "

I agree....being a SAHM is a privledge for people who can afford it... YOU obvoiusly cannot. You resent your husband for not being able to care for you, but maybe he should resent you for not working and being a free loader when he is doing his best to support everyone and not only are you NOT working, but you are complaining.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 10:16 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• YES, you are going to sacrifice the glory of being a SAHM. As I have said numerous times, the economy probably would be much better today if women just realized the days of the SAHM were OVER.

SAHM is a luxry... not a right.

GO GET A JOB
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I wish people wouldnt be so harsh about SAHMs yes she needs a job, but realize that she can only work part time and shes got children which means her and her hubby are going to HAVE to work seperate schedules for her job to even be worth having! DAYCARE is EXPENSIVE! if your kids are in school..work during those hours...visit temp agencies...or yes the dreaded walmart...work an opposite shift to your husband so SOMEONE is always with the kids and you still have two incomes without paying for daycare....its hard,,finding a job isnt easy these days...but GL
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:50 AM on Jun. 24, 2009