Another Cloth Diaper Question

I read the other poster ? about cloth vs. disposables and I did go to the websites listed. I'm very intrigued and thinking about giving this a try. Boxes of disposables were $40 at Sam's club....whew. Plus I don't like to know i'm throwing them out. My question to those that do or have used the cloth diapers, how many in each size did you have for your baby?

Mom2Jack04

Asked by Mom2Jack04 at 7:28 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• We started using cloth when our daughter was about 6 months - and we have saved so much money since then.
    We got BumGenius pocket diapers - they are great because they fit newborns - toddlers, they are adjustable.
    I completely recommend them - they are a little bit more expensive than other brands - but they are fantastic quality - and will still save you heaps of money in the long run.

We got 15 to start with - and have since bought about 3 more.
    I do a wash of them once every 2 days.

But newborns need changing much more frequently than older babies - so you may need more, I'd go with 20.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 8:21 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I had about 20 newborn prefolds and about 15 of the regular size and never had to go up to the largest size because mine potty trained before then. The covers I had about 4 in each size because as long as they don't poop on them you can let them air dry and reuse them. We used high quality Chinese Prefolds. This is the cheapest option and I did have some fitteds that I got used, but I actually preferred the prefolds. I folded them in thirds and put them in a tight fitting cover.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:39 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• With DD she was tiny and so we stuck with smalls but we could have used mediums. She potty trained before then (which is a plus to cloth diapers...helps them realize when they go).

I really prefer the stuffable diapers. You just add inserts to the absorbancy you want, pull them out afterwards and wash (until you start solids then you have to dump first).
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 8:48 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I started when my son was 5 months old. We bought 24 Bum Genius One-Size. I like that they will fit him from now until he's potty trained (hopefully lol). 24 is a perfect amount for us. I do laundry every 2 or 3 days.

I know CDing sounds really overwhelming at first, honestly I was scared to start LOL But once I did, I loved it. I'll never go back! I Do keep some disposables around in case he gets a rash, which he still does now and then but its NOTHING like with disposables. Cause you can't use diaper cream on the cloth diapers. But yeah, I love CDing. I find myself putting him in tshirts, not onesies so I can show off his cute little bum :)
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 8:49 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• well my son was started at 18 months so cant help but i can say if money isnt an issue i would go with pocket diapers. i like them but unfortunately only have one. We use prefolds and covers mostly
    cudybug

Answer by cudybug at 9:06 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I cloth diapered all three of my ghirls from birth to potty trained.

I started out initialy with 24 flats (the ones you fold), and a few covers.
    then as the popularity grew I started making my own fitteds - I love fitted diapers - and covers.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:19 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• One way to use diaper creams with cloth is to put on the cream and then put baby powder on top of it. Wool covers are fantastic for diaper rash. It let's the skin breath like they were bare bottom.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 9:46 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Flip diapers are a great one size option I used them exclusively up until Dd was about a year old.. Lusa Organics makes a great booty balm (diaper rash cream safe for cloth diapers(. Country save detergent or rockin green detergent are great.

Look into a cloth diapering 101 class in your area or join a cloth diapering group on this site. I didn't cd my first but have been my my second. I love it. There are so many options for cloth these days. It seems like there are more cd stores opening too. Stop into a shop if one is near to you for some good ideas of what you might like best. Good luck- hope thus helps:)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:29 PM on Mar. 7, 2011