Odd question about siblings

I'm an only child, and my kids are still too young for me to know from their relationship. My boyfriend has a younger sister. She's 25, and right now she has some pretty severe health problems: bleeding when she goes to the bathroom in any way, and they can't find anything wrong. We were talking about her last night, and I suggested that since she's seen all the other drs, perhaps she should see a gyno. I felt a little odd suggesting it to him, thinking he might not want to mention it to her. When I said it to him, he thought about it for a second then said it might be a good idea, since she has pretty heavy periods. My question is, is it normal for a brother to know about his grown sister's periods? Or, considering her health problems, is it normal in this situation? It strikes me as a bit odd, but I am an only child, and a very private person, so I don't know if it's just me. Thanks for any help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Relationships

• It's not odd. Some brothers would know, some wouldn't.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:23 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• i dont think its normal. my dh and his sister have discussed her periods and her recent ablations. grosses me out. my mil called my dh the day my niece started her period-just to tell him she started her period. i know she is still mortified over that one. depends on how close the family is i suppose. but for me, nobody needs to know about my periods, or anything else going on down there.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:23 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• ahhhahaha no that is pretty weird. but he may just be so used to hearing and talking about it he is just repeating thingsi he has heard and he wants to help his sister i think its sensitive and cute must guys would be like omg gross..but he must have just heard them openly talking about it like his mom and her or something...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• He did live w/ his sister (I assume) for some time so there would have been convos about such things. I am not a shy person & do not care what my sibs overhear me saying. I can also be very loud sometimes when I talk not meaning to be but I am sure everyone has overheard convos on the phone I have had w/ friends! I dont think its weird but thats just me.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:33 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• It all depends on the atmosphere in his house. If things like that were openly talked about then of course he would know. If they were a taboo subject then no he wouldn't. Personally I only have a sister, but that was something that was very openly discussed in our house so if we had a brother he would have heard about it. Every family is different in their comfort level on subjects like that.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:36 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I think it is totally normal. My brother saw our tampons under the sink. Also i started my period young & i DO remember a few times where i forgot to flush the toilet & had to hear my brother scream in the bathroom. Ha, he probably thought something got slaughtered in there. I am now an adult & don't forget to flush the toilet......lol, but we were a close family. There were many times i was talking to my mother about woman things while my brother was in the room. He never cared, i guess he was used to being surrounded by woman. Think nothing of it. If anything be glad that his family is that close.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:57 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Depends on the relationship between the two. My husband knows about his sisters and actually both of mine since all of them have health related problems. If there were no medical complications, probably he wouldn't know. But all of us have either been on some sort of medication or had some sort of surgery that somehow affected our menstrual cycles. He likes to know why they are going under the knife or what the new medication they are taking is for. My brother in law knows about my impending hysterectomy and knows about the hell that my conditions causes for me as far as my cycles go. But again, they would probably only know about blood relations that they grew up with if it weren't for health conditions.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:05 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Thank you, ladies! You made me feel much better. I wouldn't have thought anything of it if it had been a big thing like a hysterectomy or something. It was just like "huh?" when he said it. But when I thought about it, I realize that I don't have a brother, but my dad has known when I've had problems, and I guess that's really not that different. I guess I just overreacted a bit, but you've made me see that. I won't worry about it anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• me and my brother are SUPER close and always have been. We are best friends and even told each other when we lost our virginity(TMI LOL) He knows stuff like that about me and then some. BTW we are 2 years apart and I am the baby. Some siblings are born close and stay close:)
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 9:41 AM on Jun. 24, 2009