im having hard time intoducing solid foods to my 5month old baby girl

negra0999

Asked by negra0999 at 8:05 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not surprising.
    6 months is the youngest a baby should be introduced to foods.

She is clearly trying to tell you she is not ready. Don't push it.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 8:14 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• does she not want them? -- my daughter had no intrest in them when i 1st started her -- i gave up and now she likes them! lol ... shes almost 6 months now
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 8:14 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• 6 mo is when ur supposed to start on solid foods or so that is what I have always known. My DD hated solid foods I had the worst time w/ giving her food. Finally when she turned 13 mo I said enough was enough & cut down on her formula by more then half (she was on a script of formula still at that point) & said eat or starve. If ur child dosent like solid foods right off dont worry to much about it. I would bring this concern to our dr & they would always say just let her starve but I couldnt bring myself to do that until 13 mo. Its a common issue that some babies dont like solid foods & it takes some of them a little longer then others to get the hang of it. Dont give up though I would try for a few days in a row then stop for like a week then go ahead & try again. She'll come around to it in her own time :)
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:20 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• So wait. She doesn't need them. It's just for learning right now and 5mo is too early anyway. My son didn't like food until 7 1/2 months.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 9:05 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• 5 months is FINE to give it a try. The recommendations are 4-6 months, but yes some pediatricians do recommend waiting until 6 months.

Baby food and cereal are not for nutrition anyway. They're just for practice. Don't worry about it right now, just give it a try here and there until she picks up on it. Some take a little longer to get used to it than others, it's not a big deal.

I happened to have kids who took right to it at 4 months when we started (with the pediatrician's recommendation). I know others who they kept trying until they just gave up on baby food and switched to offering table foods I think it was at about 10 months....

Don't sweat it. It's really not a major problem at this age.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:00 AM on Jun. 24, 2009