what else can i do for a baby who wants held ALL THE TIME!

When she doesnt want in her saucer,i lay her on the blanket on the floor w/ toys,when she doesnt want there, i sit her up...she than reaches for me! So i hold her , but this isnt for 10-20 minutes,she wants held til she either eats again,or we leave,or whatever. I love holding my baby dont get me wrong , but not for hours! its too hard to do! Trying to do that and clean or cook NO WAY! Oh and its not in the morning , its in the EVENING! WTH!? lol ... and the evening is when daddy comes home -- BUT i dont think she likes daddy holding her,hell feed her and she tries to get up,he holds her and she fusses alot ... help =(

tha-hawt-mommie

Asked by tha-hawt-mommie at 8:18 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Invest in a sling or other soft carrier/wrap.
    It will be a lifesaver.

Baby wants to be close to mom - mom wants free hands - win win.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 8:23 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Hate to say it but u'll just have to let her fuss a little bit. My DD always wanted to be held too & I made the mistake of always doing it. When she got to the point of crawling she always wanted me to be right there beside her playing (not a bad thing but like u said u cant do that all the time) so I had to just start letting her fuss until she got the message & finally became ok w/ me doing some housework here & there. As far as her daddy my DD did thesame thing w/ my SO so again we just had to get her adjusted to being w/ him sometimes while I did something else, she fussed about it but he put in a lot of effort to help calm her down.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:24 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

It will be a lifesaver.
    --
    since i hurt my back while i was pregnant , i havent been able to do that! i had one , tried it when she was a baby (7lbs) threw my back out!!
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 8:25 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Mel30248 -- i try to let her fuss , but little wimpers turn into BIG CRIES! for hours! lol ... she has a saucer , so if it fits where im cleaning i bring it w/ me ... and she has her highchair so she sits there sometimes too w/ a teether or a toy ... but the thing w/ daddy and her , i wish shed stop fussin w/ him ... idk what to do about it!
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 8:26 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Let her cry. She knows you will give in to her if she cries enough. You have to have the stronger will and let her get it out of her system. The more you do it, the less she will cry. Otherwise, you'll be holding her forever!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• All babies have different personalities and while some may not need as much assurance as others, yours may need more for a while longer. At 5 months, she really doesn't have the coping skills to calm herself yet, but will do better in a few more months. If dad can't calm her, could dad do supper, dishes, etc. with your son, while you spend time with her? Or can you clean during her naps? It's part of bonding with you that she learns to trust. I know you feel like there is so much you need to do now, but she's only a baby once, before you know it she'll be pushing you away exerting her independence. By the time she's in school, will you remember the dishes and laundry that you did now? Good luck, hang in there, it will get better, don't worry.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:22 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Just gradually let her fuss. Distract her with something pretty when she is clean, hungry and not tired. Then go do your stuff. She will fuss for a while. Then when she flips out go get her. Gradually, she will get more and more comfortable playing alone. It might take a while.

Also, while you are doing stuff, stick her in her high chair and take her with so she can watch.
    smarshy

Answer by smarshy at 10:10 AM on Jun. 24, 2009