How to help me forget?

Well, maybe not forget completley, but I just wish I knew how to stop the memories of the good times we had together from popping up so frequently, because it just depresses me for the rest of the day. I wake up thinking about him, what he's doing, how his day is going...I hate this, I wish I hated him, that would be so much easier....I just want to forget he ever exsisted.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Relationships

• Recognize that your past is part of you. Instead of fighting the memories, let them float around you with the understanding that it is part of your past. Fighting them gives them more validity- more strength. At the same time, you don't want to have them be an active part of your mind, so when the thoughts enter your mind, gently nudge them out. I say to my self "No!" and push the thoughts aside and concentrate on what I am doing or need to do in my day. Or I say "This is not a productive thought." Whatever works for you. Associating something negative with the thoughts will help dim them. The death of a relationship or loved one is a death, and we have to allow grieving time, as much as you need.

Answer by Bmat at 8:43 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• believe me time will help. the memories that you have will not disappear but in time won't be as hard to face. just hang in there and if you ever need to just vent come on here or message me. don't worry hun, your not alone in feeling like that. i've been in that boat before. i'll keep you in my prayers.

hugs

rose549

Answer by rose549 at 8:44 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Believe it or not, those memories help you heal. They help you forgive, & you will feel better in the long run if you DO have these memories, then if you just put your feelings & memories in a locked file somewhere never to be seen or heard, until it begins to build up some kind of regret. Hang in there, this is a natural healing process. You will grow from this, & you will be a better, stronger person after this all passes. Everything eventually passes if you can grow from the experience. Hang in there.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:46 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I agree with what everyone else has said, Just hang in there and you will grow from this just like everyone else has said.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:06 AM on Jun. 24, 2009