How do you properly clean a toilet?

I've recently started working as a cleaner at a school and was wondering if there was anything I'm doing wrong? How do you properly clean a public toilet? The supplies we are given are just normal bleach and an all purpose cleaner. Plus some cloths and gloves.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I would dump a little bleach in each toilet and let it sit while I'm cleaning the rest of the bathroom. Then I'd scrub them with the brush (I hope you left out that they gave you a toilet brush). If not, wipe the bowl out with the cloths, and flush. Then I'd spray the entire toilet with the all purpose cleaner and wipe clean. Be careful if the cleaner contains ammonia. The fumes can be toxic if you mix it with bleach!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:02 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I googled this but didn't find much. All I could find was to use a cleansing pad. I would think a scrubbing brush on a handle at least, along with the cleansers. Bleach makes sense. I know where I work that there is some kind of blue chemical in the toilets when I get there in the morning, so I am guessing that that was put there to disinfect and clean. You couldn't do that with bleach for the public, since flushing might cause bleach droplets to fly up and bleach the child's clothing. What I am thinking is that you or your boss should contact custodians of another facility and get some pointers from them.

Answer by Bmat at 9:03 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Urine contains ammonia ions. Once urine meets air, it actually converts back to ammonia. You shouldn't use bleach to clean toilets actually. As drowinginboys said, ammonia and bleach can cause toxic fumes. I would just use the all purpose cleaner. Or, you could always try to contact the custodians at another facility as Bmat suggested. Good luck.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:47 AM on Jun. 24, 2009