need help quick! weened my 10 month old and my milk wont stop coming in. pain!

ok i had been weening my 10 month old from breastfeeding. which went fine. but my right breast wont stop producing. its gone into like overdrive. and its horribly engorged. and the more i express for releif the more it fills back up. its super hard. not lumpy but feels like one hard boobie. the milk doesnt smell or have a bad taste or off color. it just wont slow down.!!! what do i do to make it stop? please help asap

chris-s-wife

Asked by chris-s-wife at 8:56 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It wont let me post it all, so here is the link, http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milksupply/herbs-oversupply.html

I used Sage. Got it dried from the grocery store in the herbs & spices. Within a day I felt better, 3 days I had no milk left at all. I did 1/4th tsp 3x a day.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 9:04 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• It hurts like H*ll but wear a TIGHT fitting bra All Day and Night. You'll also have to use the nursing pads in the bra to absorb the milk. Keep doing that and it will slow down and stop the milk production. It worked for me!
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 9:04 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Sounds strange but try to put a cabbage leaf on it and wear a sports bra. The leaf draws the milk out without you expressing it...then your body won't think you need more milk to be produced...and the fact that its cold feels comforting. It is really uncomfortable and will take some time. You could also try to get some No More Milk tea. Babies'r'us has it and it helps too....
    romanojm

Answer by romanojm at 9:05 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Missikat has the right idea. My Dr. said tight bra 24/7 for one month. No hubby touching your boobs either. Don't let water hammer on them in the shower, let the water run over your shoulders to rinse your breast. It takes time but your body will get the idea to stop producing.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 9:09 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I used cold cabbage leaves with a good bra and changed them often and took about two days.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:10 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• all i know is im so engorged right now if i move my arm the wrong away and accidently *squish my breast* its excrusiating... my son wont even help. hes like boobies? whats this. he took to weening so well he totally doesnt want them.
    chris-s-wife

Answer by chris-s-wife at 9:37 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• The first few days I pumped twice, then once a day, just enough to stop them from exploding. Then I squeezed them out in the shower for a couple days. By then it had gone down enough! But you have to release some of it so you don't have any problems.
    smarshy

Answer by smarshy at 10:05 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Also, birth control helps suppress the hormones. We weaned 10 months ago, I still have milk even though I am on the pill, but on placebo days I fill up like crazy.
    smarshy

Answer by smarshy at 10:06 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Do the sage!! I did that too and I was dried up in 2 days!! I have not leaked since then either! I weened my son at 6 months and it worked!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I was only feeding once a day on one side for over a month one I finally compelty weaned. It still took over a month to not feel like I wanted to cut my boobs off! So painful! Hang in there and try peppermint tea, sage, all of that good stuff. My suggestion, do not express any of it. Thatlets your body know that you still need it. As painful as it is to keep it in there, that is how your body gets the signal that you aren't using it anymore and to stop your production. Hang in there! You have been doing it for 10 months so your body is going to take ahile to stop.
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 1:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2009