Amish Friendship Bread Question

My DH and I love friendship bread and enjoy making it every 10 days, but the problem we are running into is finding people to give starters to. A lot of our friends don't bake and don't want it. So, is there a way to only make enough starter to pour into just 1 bag for us instead of having to pour into 4 bags that end up getting wasted?

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 9:04 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I found this on allrecipes
    "Once you have made the starter, you will consider it Day One, and thus ignore step 1 in this recipe and proceed with step 2. You can also freeze this starter in 1 cup measures for later use. Frozen starter will take at least 3 hours at room temperature to thaw before using."

Answer by Bmat at 9:10 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• We had friendship bread going for a long time here too...and we ran into the same problem...our starters all "died" because we were trying to find recipients...so you can send me 1!!!
    :-)
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 9:10 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Also on allrecipes.com
    "This last time I froze them. I took one out and just let it sit for the 10 days, not adding the extra 3 cups on the 5th or 10th day, I just stirred it each day. Then on the 10th day I followed the rest of the recipe and the bread turned out wonderful, no difference and I don't have to find 3 people to give a starter too. Thought this might help anyone trying to find a friend to share with or if your friends all say no."

• I freeze all three of my "friend" bags. That way if out of town family or someone ask for one, I have it. Plus, if I kill one by accident I'll have a spare. I like taking breaks from the 10 day thing too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My husband always just makes it all instead of giving away starters
    Anonymous