Elective inductions from my knowledge are not usually performed earlier than 39 weeks unless there are complications with the pregnancy, my question is what is the difference between them inducing you before 39 weeks and then stripping your membranes? i've seen a lot of posts of woman having this done and i'm curious as to how many weeks they usually perform this procedure and if it's something that doctors do upon request

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• An induction is a way to artificially start labor. Stripping your membranes is more of a natural way. You have to be somewhat dilated for them to do it, and it may or may not send you into labor. Sort of like walking or sex or any of the other natural labor inducing things.

Depends on the doctor. Mine wouldn't strip my membranes until 38 weeks with my first and my second was born at 36, so I never even asked.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:34 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I prob. don't know the answer to what your asking, but I'll tell you what happen during my preg. During my last checkup at OBGYN I was already 4cm. Afterward the told me that during the physical exam they did what was called "stripping the membranes. I didn't know what that meant, so she explained it and said it would help things move along. They all expected to see me back that weekend in labor. Well, I wasn't! So we planned an induction 8 days before due date. Due to my hubby going out of town, he wanted to be there for the birth, plus we needed to plan for out of towners to come help me at home while he was away.
    So, I think rubbing the area "stipping the membranes" is suppose to help, but induction is a sure thing. GL
    Skyler11978

Answer by Skyler11978 at 9:38 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Induction is not a sure thing. They are artificial hormones being pumped into your body in an unnatural way. Many inductions fail and that is 1 reason why the US has a high c-section rate.

Stripping the membraes removes the amniotic sack from the cervix. They stick a finger into the cervix (and push bacteria into the uterus) and swipe their finger in a circle. Your water can break with this putting you on a "clock" for delivery. Which will then send you in for pitocin and possibly a c-section.

Neither one is natural and should not be done unless there is a medical reason to deliver quickly.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 9:43 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Stripping the membranes means they have to stick their finger through your cervix and run it around the bag of water to separate it. It can be extremely painful and does not always work because it only triggers labor if labor was about to begin anyway. It is an unnecessary intervention. Labor hormones have a delicate balance and should not be messed with in my opinion unless there is a medical emergency. There is also risk of haveing the bag of waters broken which increases the chance of cord prolapse if the head is not engaged in the pelvis.

It might be a drug free induction, but it is not without its problems. Induction is NEVER a sure thing. There are statistics out there that prove that inductions often go awry because the body simply is not ready to labor and can lead to serious complications. And if EDD are off (and they often are) there is risk of lung problems.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:44 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• also not recommend before 39 weeks. I would recommend it before 41 weeks. Had it done, wasn't a good idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• **Not recommend before 41 weeks
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• induction is fine, i was induced at 38 weeks and had no problems, if the doctor induces you its for a reason. its better than being really far and having a huge baby and delivering that. women who go to far along without being induced are the ones that end up having c sections. i never had my membranes stripped but the induction is the sure thing, it works and i've never heard of it not working.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Anon - Yes, ignore all studies. Women who are induced are more likely to have a c-section. That's fact.

Women who have large babies have to have inductions/c-sections. MYTH.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:44 AM on Jun. 24, 2009