how can i get rid of a 17 year old son for the summer

hi im a hard-working mom and have a 17 year old son who don't do anything he is super lazy i mean super he's not motatvated to do anything but sleep he stays sleep until 4to 5 the next day please help !!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• well, first I would find out what motivates him. Money, Car, TIme with Friends, etc. If it were money, then he would have to find some because I wouldn't be buying him anything. The family car, same thing. Time with friends, sorry, he can't go anywhere.

Or I would hand him a long list of chores that had to be done before I got home from work. Laundry, Dinner, Ironing, Mopping, Dusting, etc.

Or I would find some sort of class to take, if he's not working, he should be learning something or I would sign him up to volunteer somewhere and make sure he went.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 9:45 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• It's a bit late now but many places have summer jobs for teens as camp counselors and on-site lifeguards, etc where they can spend the summer away from home and make money. I'd still send him to whatever is available in the area for a job like a theme park or movie theatre. Give him an incentive like he can have the money to save for a car or a trip or whatever he likes.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:20 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• how can i get rid of a 17 year old son for the summer???!!?!?!

Nothing is worse then feeling unwanted..If he were to read this how would you feel?OR him?
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:23 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Quit giving him privileges. Make him get a job or at least do chores around the house to get $ or the keys to the car.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:28 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• send him to outward bound if they have it in your area. Its rugged and includes camping (guys like this) but it also builds character. My girlfriend did it in highschool by choice but it was a great experience. Or maybe make him volunteer at asummer camp , animal shelter or other type of commuinty service. Dont give him any money till he stops being so lazy. Money is a big motivator.Perhaps though he may suffer from depression if he doesnt want to get up and do anything. You may take him to couseling of some sort. Hope this helps Lynne
    mustlovedogs623

Answer by mustlovedogs623 at 10:35 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• OMG my son was showing the same signs up all night sleep all day if I let him. I laid down the law told him what time he was to be up in the morning. If he was not up he would loose computer/cell/friends.... He is 15 and cant get a work permit so no job. He also has chores that need to be done before dh gets home. Yesterday he did not get up so he lost his computer. He was pissed for a moment but was up this morning. You are the mom, I know its hard because I deal with it every day. Good luck.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 2:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2009