How can I teach my son to go to sleep or nap on his own, without the mass crying?

My son is now 5 months. I have nursed him to sleep since the day he was born and We co-sleep at night. Now that he is bigger it is taking longer for him to fall asleep and when I try and leave he awakes and we have to start all over. I have a very hard time letting him cry and not respond. However I am getting almost nothing do during the day do to always trying to tend to his every cry, an fuss. HELP! Can I cont to co-sleep each him to go to sleep on his own?

mommaduck26

Asked by mommaduck26 at 9:42 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We just did the ferber method and it woked! It does have a method of CIO, but my son never cried more than 10 minutes before going to sleep and by the 4th day he is sleeping on his own! It's amazing. The KEY to the book isn't the CIO it's breaking the routine of rocking or feeding to sleep (we were doing both for naps and bedtime) It also tells you how to do it for co-sleeping. It's worth at least reading... even if you don't want to use the method it has some really good insight on sleep and how your routine affects your child.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:49 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My son started using a blankie when he was 5 months. He WILL NOT sleep w/o it though. I just lay him down in his crib and give it to him. He grabs it, rolls over, and just goes to sleep.

Maybe you could teach him to do something like that.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 10:02 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Another great book is the "Sleep easy solution". I rocked/nursed my daughter to sleep every time until she was 6 months old. Within a week of trying this book's method she was going into her crib wide awake without a peep and falling asleep. Best thing I ever did with her! It is so nice to have a 2 year old that goes to bed without a fuss at 7. Warning: the first night sucks, second night is hard, third night is a bummer, but it is SO worth it if you can just stick to the plan. GOOD LUCK! ps: we started with naps. Bedtime is a little harder to get them to give up their comfort and usual routine of going to sleep. If you can get him used to taking a nap without you then it will be easier to work on bed time.
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 1:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2009