• In the Spotlight:

So did any of you watch Primetime Family Secrets lastnight?

It was about teen pregnancy. Very interesting. And I know some of you teen mothers aren't going to like this but I feel so bad for those girls.
I'm not bashing teen mothers here because I myself was having unprotected sex as a teen and I thank god that I didn't get pregnant.
I will be teaching my dd abstinence and hope this doesn't happen to her.

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 9:47 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Thank you for posting this. I am going to make sure that my about to be 14 year old sees this.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:47 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I recorded it and am watching now, it is so sad. :(
    kelbel619

Answer by kelbel619 at 10:49 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Its sad that this country still teaches abstinence as the answer. We know it doesn't work teens should be educated about what they can do to prevent pregnancy because we know they are going to have sex at some point in their lives! Abstinence is like sticking your head in the sand and ignoring the problem! You can teach them what could happen but they all think its couldn't happen to me!

Also I find it appalling that these girls can say "well my mom was a teen mom so I knew I would be one too" That is the biggest BullS*** excuse and I am tired of hearing it!

And these girls need to be taught that more than likely the boy isn't going to stick around and having a baby wont get him to stay! I am tired of all the sympathy that goes out for these girls they need a reality check and if getting pregnant is the only way they can get it then they need to learn to deal with their decisions and the consequences.
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 11:24 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I watched it, it was really hard to watch that teen give away her babies! I don't care how old you are or why you are in that postition it is the most heartbreaking thing in the world. I agree abstinace isn't the answer, it should be part of sex education but right along with it should be all the other options available. But if we all think back to our teen years we all "knew everything", it is part of being a teen, what's sad is we sometimes have to learn things the hard way.

My sister had twins at 14, bothe very premature, just over a pound and half each, one was removed from life support within the week of her birth, and the pain my sister felt, the whole NICU cried with her, she was a baby having babies but it didn't matter, she was a mom who lost a child. The second one was 5 pounds and ready to come home when she got sick and the meds destroyed her kidneys, she died 2-3 months after her birth. She still misses them.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 1:22 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Oh luckyseven, that's really sad for your sister. Sorry to hear that. I also had a teen cousin who had a stillborn baby. And I totally agree Abstinence should be taught first, along with all the other options. Including teen moms speaking about it!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2009