tummy sleeping ok?

I know this has been asked a million times already, but I just want to make sure. My son used to sleep on his back so well, but since he started rolling over he likes to sleep on his tummy. Is this okay? I can't keep him off of his tummy. My biggest problem is that sometimes I check on him and he has his face down shoved into the mattress. He can breathe when he sleeps like that, and he's in the pack and play so there are no sheets or anything that can get bunched up in his face. I've heard that sleep positioners aren't safe once they can roll over by themselves and I stopped swaddling him once he figured out how to roll over in the swaddle. I'm still so worried about him I check on him constantly. If him sleeping on his tummy isn't okay, are there any other methods I can use to keep him on his back at night?

tinkerxbell

Asked by tinkerxbell at 10:04 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Once my daughter could roll over both ways (from tummy to back and back to tummy) there was no use going in all the time to turn her over. She's a tummy sleeper...
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 10:06 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My son still sleeps on his face and it freaks me out! I just had to let him be. :(
    smarshy

Answer by smarshy at 10:08 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Once they can roll on their own they can sleep on their tummy if they choose to.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:08 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• my son from the day he came home from the hospital was a tummy sleep....he never slept on his back.,he wont sleep on his back...not in his car seat...no where....he is a tummy boy
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 10:22 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My son has been a tummy sleeper from day one. I know a lot of people are against this for reasons, but we were all raised this way. Also they don't tell you, if your baby has any type of breathing problems they have to sleep on there tummy. Also your baby is old enough to decide which position they are most comfortable in. Most babies do like sleeping on there tummy because they are in the fetal postion like they were in the womb! My advise is - do what you are most comfortable with.
    Deymphina

Answer by Deymphina at 10:29 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My DD just started rolling around and she does the exact same thing. When I catch it, I move her back to the side, but she likes to have her face down in the mattress like that, too. She can still breathe and has been doing this for a few weeks now, so I assume it's ok. Every article I read on-line says that if they can roll around, they can move positions and not suffocate, so I'm not too worried. I think all babies do this at one point or another:)
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2009