Induction

Being induced tomorrow. This is baby number two. We have a one year old she came on her own.Just wondering what to expect.

dewey_scoles

Asked by dewey_scoles at 10:21 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had an induction with my first and haven't given birth again, so I can't compare. Expect to be in bed a lot, and have to stay on the monitors. Expect more pain because of the pit and because of the limited mobility. Expect to give birth on your back. Expect some fetal distress (pitocin contractions are harder on babies) and expect someone at some point to talk about how you need a C-section (40% of inductions result in a C-section).

Basically, unless you're being induced for a real medical reason (2 or more weeks overdue and a bad biophysical profile, pre-eclampsia that is getting worse, etc) avoid the induction. We are too flagrant with induction these days.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:29 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I got induced with my 1st son because my water broke but didnt have contractions. after 3 days of horrible contractions and no baby they did a c-sec. I truely believe that if he would have been able to move around he would have came natural. I had no pain med through all of it until they wheeled me in the op room. I have sense had 2 both contractions started on their own. there really was not much difference for me all 3 ended in c-sections.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I have been induced with all 3 of my kids for different reasons, from preeclampsia to failing nst's. Best advice is to talk to your Dr and if you are dilated at all see if he can just break yor water, and if pitocin is necessary if they can slow it down after labor has gotten started and is regular. Otherwise they will come in every hour and up the dose of the medication. Try and stay out of bed, even with the IV and monitors you can stand next to your bed or sit upright in bed. Contractions are supposed to be alot harder, but I have never had a"real" cintraction without meds so I wouldnt be able to say for sure, I know they hurt like hell though.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:58 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Look up something called the Bishop score to see if you are favorable. Don't induce (unless it is absolutely a medical reason) if your score is low. It increases your chances for c-section.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:23 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Ati 13... why would she have limited mobility because of the pitocin? And why should she expect to give birth on her back? I was induced twice and took a shower both times WHILE hooked up to the pitocin, walked the halls, bounced on the ball and rocked in the rocker. How much more mobile could I have gotten?
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:37 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• You do NOT have to lay in bed & deliver on your back just b/c of pitocin. I was induced with my first 2 & will opt to be induced again this time. I was able to walk around & move as much as I wanted.
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 12:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Was induced with both kiddos and would NOT do natural (waiting until the water broke) labor. I didn't have drugs for pain with either one and knew I would be a mom by days end. LOVED IT! We decide (sometimes) to be pregnant why not when we will be mommies?
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 5:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Also, didn't even have pain until water was broke for me on both. What I felt was like cramps. You will be fine!
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 5:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2009