36wks pregnant but only measuring at 31wks?? Is this normal?

I am very worried but my dr is not....should I request a ultrasound? What could be the reason for this? My dr says it is beacuse I am sooo small, does this mean baby will be smalll? I was 5'6 114pds pre-preggo, I have only gained 17pds at 36wks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It could just be because of the way the baby is lying, or you may always have measured small. If the doctor's not concerned, I'd try not to let it worry you. There's a range of "normal" when it comes to measurements like that, and what they're really looking for is a pattern of growth, not necessarily for a standard measurement. If you're really super worried about it, then you can talk to your doctor about an ultrasound, but even then they can be off (they said my son was a pound heavier than he really was at 38 weeks).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:33 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Your weight has nothing to do with your measurement or the size of your baby. It is weird that your doc didnt request an u/s. All of our doctors offices & clinics here schedule and u/s once your measurements are over 4 weeks or more either direction
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:35 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• The later you get into your pregnancy the more "off" the measurments become. As the FIRST poster said, It could be because of how the baby is lying. Ditto to the "range of normal". Remember that all those numbers are averages...in an average there are those who are bigger and those who are smaller...pattern of growth is more important. U/S in the third trimester are very inaccurate for measurements...this is a known fact just so you know.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:50 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• all the above posters have great points.... when was the last time your doctor checked your fluid levels? that can make you measure small. Have you measured small all along or is the big difference just lately?
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 1:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I have measured samll the whole time...I have had my levels checked about 1mon. ago, they were fine. I also had a growth scan at about 26-27wks, and she looked great she was in the 51% for weight...
    jillbe

Answer by jillbe at 2:02 PM on Jun. 24, 2009