Why does she keep on getting pink eye?

My daughter is 15, she does wear glasses and has since she was about 6. She has had pink eye many times and it just keeps comming back about every two months or so. This time her eyes are really blood shot and she has a head ache from it. She allways throws away her eye make up when she gets the pink eye again. Every day she has stringy discharge that will cover her eye and then she'll have to pick at them to get it out. They continue to give her eye drops and then once the perscription is done it just comes back. My DH thinks im a hypercondriac because I take her to the eye doctor every time she gets it. What do you think is wrong, why does it keep comming back?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I wonder if it is allergy? My son got it several times, and the doctor said that he should never ride in a car with the windows down- that the air and dust blowing in his eye caused irritation and encouraged infection.

Answer by Bmat at 10:33 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• if shes rubbing her eye alot to get gunk out of it what ever she touches after gets the germs on it so even though she's throwing make up away, it could still by on something else she uses alot. Maybe after it clears up try disinfecting her glasses, and other things she's touched while having it.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 10:35 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Are you washing her sheets, pillow cases and towels in HOT water each time? My SSs BM won't wash them properly and her entire house has had it for like 3 months. Just keeps coming back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Get her a bottle of hand sanitizer and have her use it often...pink eye is often times caused by mucus getting in the eyes...sneezing blowing nose then wiping eyes...she needs to be very diligent about hand washing...
    Also make sure you fold up a paper towel and clean in and around the nose pieces...you'll be amazed at the dirt that hides there. a
    And finally when she puts in the eye drops...make sure she isn't accidentally touching the tip to her eyes.
    Hope this helps!
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 10:51 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Google allergic pink eye, there is a difference. Or sometimes it is called when pink eye turns into red eye. Pink eye as I am sure you know is very contagious. Wash everything.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:19 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• put her on an OTC allergy med like Zyrtec, it really works wonders. Also they hav e allergy eye drops, those work well too
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:27 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Is her tear duct open? Does it seem to be in just one eye or both? My nephew's tear duct was closed in his right eye (although this is more common in much younger children), and he had to have surgery to get it open. But he would often wake up with goppy stuff on his eye so bad he couldn't open his eyes. I had to take him to an eye doctor to get it figured out. He was 4.
    mommyaunt412

Answer by mommyaunt412 at 1:02 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• It may not be pink eye, it could be allergies or a clogged tear duct. Also, if she isn't using the meds as directed, the pink eye will come back. She not only needs to throw out the makeup, but the brushes too and she needs to not share any makeup with anyone else. When she has pink eye she needs to keep her hands away from her eyes, wash her hands often and wash her sheets, etc in hot water. Any issues with the eyes are not something to play around with or ignore.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Pink eye comes from bathroom germs. Stress handwashing and not touching her face/eyes throughout the day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• If she touches her eyes after blowing her nose, either with her hands or a handkerchief or tissue, this can cause pink eye.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:43 AM on Jun. 25, 2009