not talking yet

my son is 7 months old and he is not talking yet. he doesnt say mama, dada, baba or anything like that yet. is this normal? he jabbers, says ah alot and makes noises but no constanant vowel combos yet. my friends son is 9 months and talks all the time, like hes been doing it forever. anything i can do to get him to say more? thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't worry. My daugther is almost a year and she doesn't talk either. We get some dadas and ALOT of screams. Some babies don't talk at all and then all of a sudden start speaking in full sentences. As long as you talk to them and interact with them, they eventually will pick it up. Remember: all babies are different. No matter how much we want them to learn something they are going to do it when they are ready.
    HaydensMommy708

Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 10:41 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My son's pedi didn't look for the repetitive syllables (mama, dada, baba, etc.) until the 12 month visit; before that, just as long as he was babbling somewhat it was fine. It's way too early to worry about that yet; wait until he's 18 months and not talking before you even start to worry. :-)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:43 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Every baby has its own schedule. They will do things when they are ready. Don't worry if he is not talking yet, if by 1 years old he is not talking then I would be talking with the doctor about it. What you can do is point to things and say what it is. Make a game out of it, so that he will want to play with you. Read books to him and point things out and see if he will say the words too. my son is only 3 months old, but I read to him everyday. I have been taking care of kids for over 20 years and I have noticed that they will do things when they are ready to do them. So my advise be patient.
    Deymphina

Answer by Deymphina at 10:46 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My son is 10 months and all he does is scream, it's happy screams. Sometimes we get a agobaldke out of him but other than that he just sits around and screams all day.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 12:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Not all kids are the same. As long as he is babbling, he is developing his language. My daughter, who is now 7, used to speak "russian", as I liked to call it. She made up her own words for things, it was so funny. Then around 2 or 3 she started speaking correctly. She also babbled a lot when she was baby.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 1:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My son was three years old before he said Mama. He never babbled, never cooed. I was soooooo worried I took him to all kinds of specialists, therapists etc. cuz he only had about ten words in his vocabulary by the time he was two. (mama not one of them) Two weeks after seeing a psycologist (sp) he seemed to "decide" to start talking. Now I can't get him to shut up! :) My daughter on the other hand was speaking complete and understandable sentences of 3 or more words by the time she was 15 months. As you can guess she won't shut up either! :) Follow your heart, maybe ask his doc?
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 4:45 PM on Jun. 24, 2009