Who's been married 10 years or more

and can give advice on marriage and making it work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Relationships

• I've been married for 13.5 years now. I've been with my Dh since I was 16 and a junior in HS. It will be 18 years that we've been together in just 3 months. Man, does time fly....
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:47 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Well, I'm married 6, but we're together 11 1/2. Is there a specific problem you're having? I'm better at troubleshooting than just an overall statement regarding marriage advice... but I'll take a crack at it....be eachother's best friend, be honest, listen more than you talk, DO NOT NAG, be respectufl of eachother, keep sex a priority, and probably most importantly, show your appreciation to eachother frequently.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:48 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I have been married for 44 years and 5 months.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:09 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I've been married 35 years and 13 days now.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:14 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• It's been 20 years sense March, 30, 09. I think your DH has to be your best friend, first and foremost..You have to learn to get along with this person,,dealing with the small day to day things we all do.That  is something you need to learn to deal with when you live with a person for the rest of your life.Fighting over the small things will not make your marriage last. Talking about everything is important to. You need to think as one on everything,kids, money,etc......If your sex life is shity,your marriage will fail..Love will not keep you together,,if you do not like your DH your marriage will fail.IMO,,,JMO...

Answer by louise2 at 11:20 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I'm coming up to my 21st anniversary in a couple of weeks. 

My advice is to get the fun and passion back.  Remember what it was like when you were dating?  You need to get that back.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:29 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• We've been married going on 12 years and been together 14 years now.
    My advice? Learn to forgive and have a sense of humor. Try to not take things too personally and pick your battles. Forgiveness is number 1 though. Without that, you lose everything else.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Congratulations to all who have been married for longer than 10 years but she was asking for ADVICE not how long you have been married.
    Anonymous

• We've only been married 5 and together 8.

But.

The best advice I've ever gotten is to never stop talking. Communication is THE most important issue in a marriage. And learn how to compromise. With communication and compromise 100% of marital problems can be resolved.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• We've only been together for 5 years..but the best advice we've EVER recieved is to NEVER STOP DATING YOUR SPOUSE! Keep the tingly love feelings and the butterflies around, go on dates, keep your sex life active and healthy...and TALK! Keep your communication open and honest, don't sweat the small stuff, and APPRECIATE each other every single day.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 1:34 PM on Jun. 24, 2009