Has anyone ever used tea tree oil for headlice treatment and or prevention?

If so, how many drops did you use for a 32 ounce bottle of shampoo? We used about 15 drops. I see where some concentrations are much higher and I do not want it toxic strong.

P.S. Yes we have done Rid and Nix and washed linens in hot water and checked heads/ denitted every single night. The Rid and Nix are like food for these things. Olive oil overnight did more than those useless treatments. Now we are on to tea tree oil cause I hear it is good prevention and treatment.
So anyone's experience is appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Tea Tree Oil works fantastically!! I teach elementary school, and one of the occupational hazards is coming down with head lice at least once every couple of years. One note...the tea tree oil smell is VERY strong, so don't empty the entire bottle in your shampoo...it will ruin it. Just a little bit, maybe an ounce or two (two at the most) will work. It will burn if it gets in your eyes, so be careful. Some people also have sensitive skin, so try to keep it on the scalp only. It also makes your hair really shiny too. A great bonus is that it's super cheap, too!!

About the flea shampoo, I knew teachers that swore by using it once a week in place of their regular shampoo, so I was going to try it. My dermatologist had a fit and told me it is one of the worst things you can do for your hair and that you are able to readily abosrb toxins through the scalp so never use dog shampoos. :) Just passing along the word.
    LeighAnne3

Answer by LeighAnne3 at 4:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• LOL...reminiscent of me last summer!
    I used tea tree oil in green apple shampoo...don't know if it helped but heard lice hate green apple scent...lol
    I'm sure I'll get yelled at for this one...but we also used Seargant's flea shampoo...just don't let her know and watch the eyes.
    In hindsight I heard about a product (expensive) supposedly this helps get rid of it and repel them
    http://www.fairytaleshaircare.com/
    GOOD LUCK HUN!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Hey I am the original poster and if I had to, flea shampoo was the next stop. These annoying things are infuriating! If someone has never been there, they should not say a word, girl, hopefully this tea tree stuff will do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I have heard to use a bottle of tea tree oil and place it in the bottle of shampoo.

A tip: Use an off brand of Scalpicin. A few bottles! BIG bottles if you can find it, Ive used the smaller bottles.

After you wash your childs hair with what ever lice treatment, use this method.

You place your childs head over a bowl, to catch the dripping scalpicin, keep pouring it back onto the hair to saturate it well. Just take out any lice you can see from the bowl/container catching the liquid, so you don't put them back on the hair.

Keep doing this til you no longer see any LIVE lice. The Scalpicin will kill the lice. You can even test a few in a cap full.....it takes a while but they DO die. At first they are emobilized, but once they are "swimming" in the Scalpicin, they do die.

The hardest part after is the nit picking! Make sure you get them all off the hair shaft. Repeat this process til they are dead.

Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Once you use the Scalpicin, keep it on hand to use after shampooing to help.

I have heard that using hair gel in kids hair stops re-infestation. I've not tried the gel/hairsprays, but it may help.

Let me know if that helps any! I'm the Anon poster about the Scalpicin.
    carolinablues50

Answer by carolinablues50 at 11:08 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• ok carolinablues50, will do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• The fairytale product has rosemary oil in it.............why not just go buy some of that and try it ont he hair??

Damn critters sure are annoying! Been there done that!

A friend told me about the Scalpicin and put a few live lice in a small bowl...covered them with a few drops of the Scalpicin and they were dead in a few hours..

As long as you can keep the hair saturated, it will kill off the live ones and USE a good nit comb....a dogs FLEA comb with the rubber handles work well with live ones, even small baby lice.

They are about $6.00 at the grocery store. Metal toothed even.

Damn! Now MY head is itching! LOL
    carolinablues50

Answer by carolinablues50 at 11:12 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Bad thing is Scalpcin IS expensive and the bottles are not that big.

I just found this at Walgreens website! I did not know they SOLD it in a Shampoo! I'd use both if I were you!!

"http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100865&navAction=jump&navCount=1&nug=VPD&skuid=sku894234&id=prod894246"

I will have to tell my girlfriend about this!

How cool... they make it with 3% Scacylic acid in a shampoo!

Honestly I would try the shampoo here.......and then saturate the hair as I said.

As you know, picking out every nit is the hardest. but perhaps this can help eradicate them!
    carolinablues50

Answer by carolinablues50 at 11:21 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I swear by tea trea oil and I used it straight out of the bottle for the first app, used that stupid little comb and then did follow up treatments weekly for the first month. I also put it in the shampoo, I don't remember how much I just knew I was sick of those dang things...fleas are easier to get rid of!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 1:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My daughter kept getting lice from her cousin. I tried everything, but what finally worked for us was Denorex shampoo. It's a super strong dandruff shampoo. I used it every bath for a month, and then after her shampoo, I'd use coconut scented conditioner and use the lice comb with the conditioner in it, and then I checked connstantly. The life cycle of a flea from egg to louse is 7-10 days. If you miss one teeny egg, usually it's big enough in a week to be caught. The key is to catch them before they become adult and lay eggs. Diligence is key!
    Sandi16

Answer by Sandi16 at 2:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2009