Do you let your kid/kids wear clothes with small stains on them?

My 5 year old little girl has her play clothes and her nice clothes. The play clothes have stains all over them and I don't care about those. But sometimes when she wears her nicer clothes she will get stuff on them that become satins that I just can't get out. I am talking about small stains; if she gets big stains that won't come out on something it becomes play clothes. I still let her wear the nice clothes with small stains when we go places. Because we don't have a lot of money to be replacing clothes all the time, and she is 5 I can't expect her to stay perfectly clean. Do you think it is wrong if I let her go places or to school with clothes that have SMALL stains on them?

TeriMelisa

Asked by TeriMelisa at 10:59 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• When we are around the house, I let my kids wear whatever they want, but for school, and going out in general, they wear something decent. Even if it is just a T-shirt and jeans, they have to be clean. I think it's very hard to keep up with stains, but I try. You are right when you say that you can't expect a 5 year old to stay clean all the time. I always say that the more dirty they are after a day of play, the more fun they had ;-)
    To answer your question, no, I don't think it's wrong of you, letting her wear clothes with a little stain on it. You do the best you can, and as long as your child is happy and healthy, then what more can you ask for?
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 11:08 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• No not wrong at all, especially at that age. I have 5 and 7 yo boys and they have the same problem, and I have always let them still wear it to school and when we go out other places. But like church, or very special occasions, I have them wear their very nice stuff.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• This is just going to happen at her age. There's nothing wrong with that.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:04 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I am w/ you mom. If they are not stained, they probably have never been worn by my kids, lol.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:04 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• If the clothing has designs that diminishes the stain if there's no other choice. On an outfit or two over the years with colored permanent marker I've handdrawn matching designs to hide a stain that won't come out. Have you tried Dawn Original Handdish washing Detergent, that can sit for a good day or two, longer to soak into per spot. Also sometimes I add a little bit of pure bleach to colored clothes just to brighten them and lighten a stain or too with out detergent. Then I wash next in detergent. And even on permanent press when there are stains some times I use heaviest wash cycle to really have the stain scubbed good in machine. Then the dryer's permanent press cycle with a wet cotton sock takes out wrinkles. Give it a try, maybe something'll work for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I do not think that is wrong at all, I think you are being realistic. I am a bit OCD about stains (no matter how small) on my daughters' clothing but I have had to try to let some of that go. Not only was I driving myself insane but I was spending over my allotted amount of money for clothing for the season. I also turn theirs into play clothes when they get stains on them. When my oldest was little I was so neurotic that even a small drop of juice on her shirt warranted an outfit change. I have tried to be more relaxed with my youngest and I feel so much better about it. I always make sure their faces are clean, teeth are brushed and hair is neat and pretty when we go anywhere, and I their clothing is always nice....I just have to remind myself they are children and it doesn't have to be perfect. As long as it isn't caked with dirt or covered in smeared food I think it is ok.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I have never met a stain I can't get out. Especially if I catch it before it gets washed.

I use Grease Lightning on stains. Sometimes you have to scrub and sometimes it has to sit there for a week and scrub it every day, but it ALWAYS comes out.

I've also started using 409, it seems to work just as well.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 11:17 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• um yea, whats the big deal about small stains, life is full of them lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:18 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Mine's not quite 3. Everything gets stains.

I use OxyClean and it works great. Before bed, I put a 1/2 scoop in a bucket, fill the bucket with water, add the clothes and leave it overnight. The next morning, I throw the whole thing in the washer with a regular load of laundry. No scrubbing, no fuss. Every stain has come out - juice, chocolate, mustard, ketchup, grass, even ground in sand box dirt.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• As the children have gotten older there have been less stains in our life. As for wearing anything with small stains on it, well it depends on where they're wearing them to. We go camping on over 40 acres of private property surrounded by national park in the mountains, they get extremely dirty during those trips so I could care less what old thing they're wearing. When playing in our backyard or bumming around the house and we're not going anywhere or seeing anybody those old clothes are fine to wear. When we go out they look clean and are wearing decent un-stained clothes.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 12:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2009