The girl that doesn't age

I've been intrigued by this story since it first came out, I just find it amazing that she is 16 years old and still looks like a 1 year old. Do you think it's a genetic cause or some sort of illness/disease we know nothing about yet? And if scientists find it's genetic and isolate the gene, how long before we start human experimentation? I don't think we should mess with nature, with the natural aging process, but that's just my opinion.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Health/Story?id=7880954&page=1

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 11:09 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I looked at the slide show. It was heartbreaking.

I'm sure some people see her and may romanticize the idea of having a "forever baby", but look at the little girl closely and you see a different story. Particularly her eyes. In very photo except one there is a depth of sadness there that brought me to tears. There's much, much more going on in this little girls world and mind than people even begin to realize.

Maybe you can see or feel what I do about her, maybe you can't, but I don't think that treating her like a guinea pig would be right. Why would you stick needles into her (or worse) for personal gain?

If she was a rat, PETA would be all over the news screaming, "leave her alone!"

Why shouldn't a human child get that kind of protection?

Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 11:36 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I have no clue, but it was pretty interesting. I hadn't heard of her before now.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 11:23 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I've never heard of her. That is pretty sad. I'm sure its tough on her and her parents. Especially as the parents are getting older and worry how long she might live and who can take care of her when they are gone.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 11:43 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• That is just bizarre.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Why would you stick needles into her (or worse) for personal gain?

Where are they sticking needles into her? You can get a DNA sample with a Q-tip or a loose hair.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• ""Where are they sticking needles into her? You can get a DNA sample with a Q-tip or a loose hair.""

I've yet to see a scientist do any from of real research on a unique entity with just a Q-tip. That's simply not how it works. Tissue samples and other such diagnostics are the norm.
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 12:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Wow. Sad... but so interesting.. Medical mystery!
    Anonymous