Anyone tired of being poor???

I am. Seems like everything is just piling up now. Bills, DH hours are getting cut. We talked about what bills we are going to let go. We have a TON of other obligations this summer-weddings, birthday parties-that we have to spend $$ on. I don't know how we are going to make it. We barely have money for groceries. He hurt is back-I think there is something wrong with a disk bc his back has a lump-we have no insurance, don't qualify for anything..............I am tired........anyone else feel like all the hard work just doesn't get anywhere???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Dont give up. When times are hard you have to work harder and not lose sight of what you need to do for your family. As far as weddings and birthday parties, forget it. Unless its your child's birthday, than you can sacrifice a small party for them. Other than that, you need to focus on the basic needs of your family. Keep your head up and keep doing what your doing. Things will get better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Years from now you'll look back at the hard times and be proud that you didn't give up and stuck it out. Just try cutting out all non essentials like birthday parties and the like. You're probably stonger than you think and if you need help from the governement, then get it! You've paid into it, so why not let it help you for a little while?

Good luck with things.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 11:20 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• just remember darlin, you are the majority not the minority. Times are tough for a lot of people now. You may have to cut out unnecessary expenditures for the time being, and people will have to understand. I know that you may feel embarrassed showing up to an event empty handed, but I have had to do it myself and looking back I didn't regret it at all. People have become too wrapped up in the material aspects of life and need to just appreciate that you are taking the time to be there for them on their special day. Try to sit down and make out a budget and do your very best to stick to it as much as possible. I know that sometimes it seems that you are just never going to get ahead or break even for a month or two, and if people are honest, most of us have all been there. Do you best and keep your chin up...focus on all the positives in your life, no matter how difficult that is. GL hon. *hugs*

MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 11:22 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Thanks ladies, I am just overwhelmed. My brother is getting married, I am a bridesmaid-and I took the dress in last night for fitting-80 dollars. I spent 90 on the dress. My dh is the best man. He has to pay for his tux-and the bachelor party. He is a groomsman in his brother's wedding and needs a tux and our son is the ring barrer-also needs a tux. Plus wedding gifts, bridal shower gifts, plus b-day parties-literally every weekend.

He called this morning saying that he will be off ALL next week with no hours=no money. I could cry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Aw honey, I am so sorry. Could you go through the kiddos things and see if there is anything they don't play with or wear anymore and list them on craigslist or take them to a childrens' consignment store in your area? Do you have any friends who need a baby sitter a couple evenings a week so maybe you could make a little fast cash?
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 11:28 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• yeah-I thought about offering babysitting to my neighbor for extra cash. I sold all my gold jewelry-except wedding bands-last friday....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I'm NOT poor. We don't have a lot of money, have had to consume our entire savings every time it starts to get somewhere, because there is some emergency or another, and I do get scared sometimes.

But I am an amazing person. Sounds conceited, doesn't it? It's not, and you are too. I can feed my family of four on 300 or less a month. The key to not losing your mind is making it a contest. If you get by on 60 for food this week, can you do it for 50?

Can you freecycle? Can you bake your own bread? (Yes, it's easy, recipe on my page, don't even really need the peel.

I have amazing children, who I love and get to spend time with every day. I could go back to work full time easily- my old job wants me, and we'd have LOTS of money.

But the love of a child, and to be there almost every day, money can't buy that.

Hang in there, momma, this too shall pass.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:38 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Well it sounds like you are trying to exercise all of your options to bring in some extra money. Next thing to do is to call your cell phone provider, home phone and internet provider, cable company and utility companies to see if there is any way you can save monthly on your bills. I just did that myself and saved almost $50 a month. You can also can your vehicle insurance company and see if there is any way you can possibly get your rate lowered while still keeping the same (or close to the same) coverage. These are some of the things I have done that have helped us immensely...I hope you don't think I am being to forward by spitting out these ideas...sorry. I just know how stressful it can be and I want to give you some different things to try if you haven't already.
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 11:43 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• No-any ideas are helpful! Anything to cut costs on these bills rolling around. Especially since there will be a whole paycheck missing, anything and everything helps-thats our motto.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Well, I wish you the best of luck, and if you ever need to chat feel free to send me a message and I can give you other ideas that have helped us out. I work in a bank too so I see people dealing with things like this all of the time. It is nothing to be ashamed of and as an earlier poster said....this too shall pass...eventually. One day you will look back and you will hardly remember all of the anguish and worry you are experiencing right now. Also, do things with the kids that are free to lighten the mood and spend some quality time together. Go to the park and take some snacks from home, go on a nature walk through your neighborhood, catch and examine bugs, go to a local lake or river and let the kids throw rocks or wade around a bit. Seeing them smile and hearing them laugh is the best medicine of all and usually puts things back into perspective.
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 11:55 AM on Jun. 24, 2009