Best way to get baby to sleep on own?

My son is 6 weeks old today and I am breastfeeding exclusively. To make my life easier I have been bringing him in bed with us and I can just feed him while lying down. I've been getting more sleep than when I was pregnant! However, now I'd like to start getting him used to sleeping on his own. I will give up feeding him in bed if I need to, ugh!
What's the best way?

hipmom8523

Asked by hipmom8523 at 11:30 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Start out w/a bedtime routine. Bath, Massage, Nurse/Bottle, rock while feeding baby in a very peaceful, dark (have a night light) and quiet room. Maybe have some soft music on. Just make the room as relaxing as possible. Then put your baby in the bed when he's drowsy but still awake. If you rock your baby to sleep, then he will get used to having you rock him to sleep every night. And when he wakes up in the middle of the night (after he's done with his middle of the night feedings) he'll be looking for you to rock him back to sleep. When you put him down when he's drowsy yet still awake, he'll learn to put himself to sleep as well as learn to put himself back to sleep in the middle of the night if he happens to wake up. I have done this same thing w/both of my kids since they were 2 weeks old and I have never had any sleep issues with them. **Be consistent with this routine even if you think it's not working. It will!
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 11:42 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I agree with the routine mentioned above, that is pretty much what we started doing at 6 weeks and it works really well. Although sometimes my son is completely asleep when I put him in his crib and that works fine too. One thing we do too is always put him to sleep in his crib, but he normally wakes around 5:30, then I bring him to bed with me at that time, so he eats/cuddles until I get up around 6:30-7:00. If he wakes up in the middle up the night though I feed him then put him back in his crib.
    Happy2bMom09

Answer by Happy2bMom09 at 11:48 AM on Jun. 24, 2009