How do you get a tween to go to sleep?

mmmom246

Asked by mmmom246 at 11:41 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• well you could do what my mom did to my brother... he wouldn't go to bed til 2/3am every night and sleep til 1/2pm during the summer so she would wake him up everyday at 7am (8 at the latest) and tell him 'we have things to do its not my fault you stayed up all night.' and then we had the rule of 'either play outside or help me clean' so we stayed outside playing most of the day. after a week or so he was to tired to stay up and was in bed at a decent time.
    landensmommy411

Answer by landensmommy411 at 11:52 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Excellent answer up above...get him or her up early every morning. Eventually they'll be going to bed on their own cause they'll be so tired.
    karen704

Answer by karen704 at 1:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I agree, good answer. They need to stay on a routine, even through summer. Send them outside to play all day (or swim) that way they're tired when they come in. My son has a terrible time falling asleep (ADHD Meds), so his doctor recommended melatonin. He takes 3mg every night. Benadryl works nicely too.
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 3:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I don't really have a bedtime for my almost 13 yr old during the summer. When he is tired he goes to bed and I have him up by 10 am, at the latest. He usually sleeps from about 11pm-9am.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2009