Do you give money to the homeless?

Now that I'm pregnant, I'm rethinking everything. I know that children learn what's right and how to handle things by watching their parents, and I want to be the best model I can be. I feel for the homeless, and I've given them my spare change on occasion, but you never know if they are spending it on food or on booze; or what this person who you are allowing to approach you is like; if they are potentially dangerous, etc. I don't want to make it seem like I don't care about their plight, but I also don't want my daughter to be over-trusting and end up getting hurt.

This morning, I pulled into a donut shop and a homeless man walked up to about 5 feet away & just stood there watching me. I waited a good minute or so, hoping he'd leave but he didn't, so I got out, and sure enough, he asked for money. I didn't give him any. I was a little freaked, and being pregnant didn't help.

How do you moms handle this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• Everyday on my way to work I bring a homeless man that lives in the tent city near my office a sack with breakfast, lunch and dinner. I gave him an old cooler I had and drop off ice when he needs it. He is mentally ill and I have gotten in touch with his family for him. They have sent me money to help him but it is not necessary. My dad is homeless and mentally ill we have no clue where he is and have tried to find him for years. I help this man because I hope someone will have a kind heart and help my daddy. I don't give money to the homeless will give food and other items they can use.
    Anonymous

• I do not. So many people have figured out you can make a lot of tax free money by begging. I actually talked to a guy who said he made more in a day begging sometimes than he did in a full week working. I will give them food or gas or whatever but I will not give money.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:52 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I don't give to the homeless directly, I give money, food, clothing, and household items to a variety of charities and let them decide who needs what.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:52 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• No. I give money and items to selected charities. Too many homeless people are simple dodging jobs to avoid paying child support and back taxes.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Once I was on vacation with my friend and her family when I was a teen. We were staying in this nice place with a kitchen. Her mom was making breakfast and we saw a homeless man rummaging through the garbage. Her mom made a plate of Bacon, eggs, French toast, and fruit for him and had her husband take it down to him. He threw it in the dumpster!!!! When the dad came back we asked what happened and he said that the homeless guy said that the food was no good to him because it wouldn't make him drunk and told the dad to come back when he had something harder.

I'm with Lorikeet. I'll donate to local food shelters and they can decide who to give help to.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 12:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• when I worked at petco there was an old man with his dog that sat outside and everyday on my lunch I would go to a deli and get him a sandwhich too. He was very greatful for this. And since I worked at petco I had good discounts and would give his dog free baths (secretly) and water and I'd buy little dog foods for him. There really still are homeless people out there. not all of them are fakes.
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 12:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Nope don't give money to the homeless because some of them really aren't homeless but just doing it to make a quick buck. I donate to charities that help the homeless and those less fortunate.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 12:57 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I have been known to on occasion slip a few bucks thier way, but only if I have it to give. I try not to judge and if a bottle of booze helps them get through the day...then so be it. A HUGE number of homeless are mentally ill and booze is a heck of a lot cheaper to by then the meds are. I know my sons bi-polar meds, before insurance, are almost 800 a month. I could not do it if we didn't have great insurance. And a lot of these meds aren't covered under government plans.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 1:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• yes I am guilty I give to the homeless and depending on the situation sometimes it is money and sometimes it will be bags of food. I always include a cross keychain and an invitation to our church.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:55 PM on Jun. 24, 2009