is it normal for a 1 1/2 year old to stick little things in her nose?

What is going on here? My lil girl allura is always finding the littlest things like a lint ball and a little peice of potato chip and putting it into her nose. I'd say I have had to suck 5 little random things from her nose already. It is so scarry. She sometimes crys when she does it, but won't stop. Is this normal? And any tips to get her to stop?

allurasmamma

Asked by allurasmamma at 11:50 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Thank you all. Your great.
    allurasmamma

Answer by allurasmamma at 6:48 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My nephew used to stick raisins and peanuts up his nose when he was that age. My sister didn't know what to do, so she finally just relaxed about it and would periodically check his nose for things. He tried to stick marbles up there too, but they wouldn't fit. It's pretty normal. A lot of kids I've heard do that at that age. Just keep telling her that's not good, it's yucky, whatever and then check her nose. you shouldn't have to go to the Dr unless she sticks something way up there. My nephew once had a HUGE peanut up his nose, pretty far too since he tried sticking another one up after it, but his nose got all runny and pretty much washed it out on its own. My sister didn't know it was there, she thought he was teething!! Good luck!
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 11:54 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I don't know if it's normal or not. But my son did this when he was little. He kept picking lint from his blankey and would try to stick it in our nose. We would laugh and think WTH is he doing? Then one day he let out a big sneeze and out came the biggest lint ball ever! He eventually stopped. We just kept telling him No!
    Also, when I worked at a Pediatrican's office a little girl would stick dog food, tiny batteries and Cherrios in her nose. She got a real bad sinus infection from it. Just stay on him and take things away from his hands if he's holding onto them too long! Because eventually, he's waiting for the moment to stick it in! Oh, and check his ears...some stick stuff in their ears. Good luck.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 11:56 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Personally, it wasn't something that my kids did so I'm not really sure how to get it to stop, but I have heard a lot of people say their kids did something along those lines so I don't believe it is abnormal.
    I would think its like breaking any bad habit a kid picks up. Just keep telling them no and stopping them from doing it if you see him trying to.
    Good Luck
    luckcharm

Answer by luckcharm at 3:03 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• LOL yes my son was 2 and did it alot with rasins. I traveled with tweasers in my car, just incase.
    One day he had to go to the Peds. office. He had stuck one of those tiny rocks from the fireplace up his nose. It was large and up there pretty far. 2 nurses holding him down and a Dr. with scary tools finally got it. He said if it had been a ball shaped then his tool wouldn't have worked. It would have required surgery! Think it scared him enough, the habit was over.
    Skyler11978

Answer by Skyler11978 at 4:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Yes, it is normal but DO NOT try to get anything out of a child's nose or ears on your own, you could cause damage. Take them to the doc or ER to get it out. My son had a habit of sticking pebbles up his nose. The ER knew us well, he had his very own room in the ER. The ER doc and a nurse I know told me to NEVER stick a tweezer or anything else in a child's nose to remove anything, the tweezer can do major damage to the nose. Best to let a pro do their jobs.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2009