What is a good age to take a toddler out of the crib and into a toddler bed?

I have a 16 month old granddaughter that is still in her crib, she is getting to where now she is wakeing up at night, Im thinking its a sleeping space thing. I want to put either a toddler bed or a single bed minus the frame in there for right now. Let me know what you think.

jjross

Asked by jjross at 11:56 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's not age based. And it's not a "space" issue - if it were, a toddler bed wouldn't be the answer... it's the same size as her crib.
    When a child tries to climb out is when most parents make the switch. That's because the child has a chance of falling and getting hurt.
    But a child loose in the house has a chance of getting hurt too. You say she is waking at night. That won't change with just a change of bed. In fact, it will probably get worse. Then she will see no reason to not get up and play at 3am when she wakes. She may cry for you, she may just get up. She may play quietly with a stuffed animal, she may try to climb her furniture, she may slam the closet door on her hand, she may explore the rest of the house, including the kitchen - all while you are sound asleep.

If she's not climbing out, the crib is the safest place until she weighs too much for it (about 50 pounds).
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:22 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• If she can climb out of the crib, then it's time to switch her.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 11:57 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I was going to get my son a toddler bed for his big Christmas present. He will be 20 months then. Most people I have talked to say 20 to 24 months unless you have a baby that escapes the crib.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• We put ours in a regular bed at 15 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:59 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I put my dd's bed up in her room, but left the crib up too. Then it was a fun switch and she got to choose to sleep in the big girl bed, but not give up the comfort of her crib. It was crowded with furniture, but after a while she started sleeping only in the bed and we took the crib down. I put the mattress on the floor so I didn't have to worry about her falling out. As she got bigger I put the frame up and used a bedrail.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I didn't move my daughter out until she was 25 months. By that time, she was climbing out of the crib on her own and I didn't want her hurting herself doing it, so I made the switch. She did great with it. I wouldn't think that it was a space issue for the kiddo. I would think there are probably other things going on that are waking him up, like growing or teething.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 12:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I dont think that age has much to do with it. If the child is climbing out, its time to switch. My daughter is 18 months and still in her crib. She dosnt try to climb out, but I have been thinking about making the switch too...she loves to play in her room and tries to clib IN her crib. She wants to lay down and play sometimes, I guess. Her cousin has a toddler bed and my DD thinks it the coolest thing. If space is the issue for the child, a toddler bed wont be any better....its the same matterss so it sthe same size. If you dont think you have much to worry about as far as the child running around the house at night, then I would say try it. But keep the crib just in case. I know of a lot of moms who have switched early then switched back!
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2009