How do I deal with my daughter when she has a fit when she doesnt get her way?

single_mama09

Asked by single_mama09 at 11:57 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Send her to her room and tell her she can't come out til she smiles. If she comes out, send her back until she can smile. It works!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 11:58 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Well, I didnt know what age of a child we were talking about so I checked your profile and she is only two years old. I would suggest ignoring the fits. Explain in simple terms what you expect of her and why she cannot get her way then just walk away. It would be eaier to make suggestions if I had an example of one fo your issues. Hope this helps.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• You can ignore her that works sometimes when she realizes it doesn't bother you it won't be worth it. Another thing I do and have done since my 5 year old was about 1 or 2 is when she throws a fit I just look at her and say "come on you can do better than that" and I start whining and play crying, for a couple of seconds she will try to get louder then she finally gets mad and stops, or she starts laughing at me and it is over.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 12:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I also ignore mine & put him on time out & sometimes his fits go on for a half hour or longer. I'm still tryin to deal with mine . I have a young infant, so it's really difficult for me.
    luvmyangels3

Answer by luvmyangels3 at 12:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• If you are in public, stop what you're doing (eating lunch, buying groceries, whatever), take your child to the car, and go home.

At home, let her throw her fit & just walk away from her. Ignore it.

Be calm, consistent, & committed.

If it means leaving a buggy full of groceries in the produce section & returning to start the shopping all over after dad's gotten home & can stay with her, then so be it.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:59 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• When my 2 yo throws fits, it's straight to timeout to calm down. She takes calming breaths just like JoJo (from JoJo's Circus). When she's calmer, we talk about why it's wrong to act like that. When the timeouts don't work, she gets put in her room for 10 or 15 minutes. I let her have her cup and a toy, it just gets her away from the situation and lets her reset, kwim?
    kttycat84

Answer by kttycat84 at 12:19 AM on Jun. 25, 2009