Is there some form of discrimination being practiced for patients who have medicaid?

Some private offices place Medicaid Patients on certain time slots when it comes to scheduling appointments.
Are there any other form of discrimination for people who have Medicaid.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Absolutely! Go to the ER while you are on medicaid, you'd be surprised how they brush you off and either misdiagnose you or don't at all. I took my son to the ER because he was wheezing, had a fever and was complaining about his ears. They did the x-ray and everything and said he "just had a cold". On a hunch, I went to his pediatrician the next morning and she said he had 2 double ear infections and pneumonia.............WOW that happens overnight?!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Working in a private office: we don't schedule appointments for patients who have Medicaid on Saturday. We usually leave it for patients with private insurance.
    Anonymous

• Instead of complaining about what you DON'T get with FREE MEDICAL CARE, be happy that you even GET FREE MEDICAL CARE, and that enough people work and pay taxes so that you don't have to!
    Anonymous

• When we take our disable son to the Dr. I usually get the question how come he doesn't have Medicaid. If I have the patience to answer I'd say that we don't qualify for Medicaid. I was wondering why?
    Anonymous

• I have never had that experience. I say change doctors. Doctors and hospitals know they are going to get paid with medicaid because it is government. That is gauranteed payment. If you feel unwelcomed or looked over changed doctors, you should not be made to feel that way.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 12:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• ANON 11:04 because of my son's misdiagnosis, he could have ended up in ICU with his pneumonia, at least I went with my gut and followed up with his pediatrician. Just because it's free doesn't mean that it is good or even ok! And how dare you ASSUME I don't have a job because I have the medical card.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• ANON 12:05

We have PRIVATE insurance through my husband's employer, and we would not qualify for Medicaid based on income, except that because Pennsylvania does not have an agency established for disabled children and adults, we are allowed to bill Medicaid for certain doctors and therapies related to their disabilities (ie: Developmental Pediatrican appointments, speech therapy, RDI therapy, etc.) which ARE covered by the state--providing they are in network through the health plan we selected through Medicaid. We do NOT receive any cash benefits from the state, they just cover the physicians WE chose. You MIGHT want to look into your state's version....it MIGHT help when it comes to paying for certain therapies! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Lori

Thank you so much I'll look into it. anon 12:05
    Anonymous

• because of my son's misdiagnosis, he could have ended up in ICU with his pneumonia, at least I went with my gut and followed up with his pediatrician. Just because it's free doesn't mean that it is good or even ok!

***

THAT is my concern if ObamaCare comes to fruition!!! There will not BE any good pediatricians for the average person--unless you have the money (which fortunately for us, we will). This is the kind of care you can expect on a DAILY basis, across the board!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:12 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• There are lots of things ways that people are treated different on medicaid then with regular insurance

1. Those who recieve medicaid do not get the same immunizations as those with insurance
    2.Those with medcaid do not get the one on one with doctors as those with insurance-this I have seen for myself. People are treated more like herded cattle-in and out.
    3. The wait times at a clinic that accepts medicaid is WAYY longer than those in offices that just accept regular insurance.

I hope and pray that our government doesn't develop this health care plan bc I fear that it will turn into what medicaid, medicare is like-and that would be horrible.
    Anonymous