pets and toddlers

My neightbor wants to give us a chocolate lab puppy. Problem is my i'm afraid my 2 1/2 year old daughter will maul it like she does our cat. I would really like to get the puppy and am trying to think of ways to make this as smooth as possible. Does anyone have an ideas about this or any info on chocolate labs?

tinaaly

Asked by tinaaly at 12:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Pets

• labs are great with kids. we had a lab growing up, they are very very energetic animals and chewers but they are great family animals, protective and love to play. as far as your 2 1/2 yr old, just teach her how to play with the dog and pet the dog nicely. when she plays too rough or "mauls" the animals, just tell her that if shes mean to them they will be mean back, shes old enough to understand that, then show her the right way to do it. we did this when my daughter was 18 months and she understood and hasn't had a problem w/our animals since. (we have a dog and a cat)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Right Breed for You?
    An ideal sporting and family dog, the Labrador Retriever thrives as part of an active family or as a trusted hunting companion. A double-coated breed which sheds seasonally, regular grooming keeps his coat at its water-resistant best. Because of his even temperament and trainability millions of Americans own a Labrador Retriever as a pet.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/labrador_retriever/index.cfm

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080802013122AAKqWvb
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• they are very smart and have whats called a soft mouth. thats been breed so they don't puncture the birds they bring back to their owners. so they won't ever bite your child very hard. i would have her have some time with the puppy before bringing it home. they are also very poplular dogs in the uk.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Labs are terrific with kids so I wouldn't be concerned about that. I'd be more concerned with the fact that they are VERY high energy dogs that need lots of exercise to burn it off. They are notorious for getting into things, like chewing, when they're bored and under-exercised. Labs also have apuppy mentality for while - usually a good 2-3 years before they calm down and settle in.

If you can't devote that sort of time to exercise and training, I'd reconsider.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 3:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Labs are GREAT with kids! I had a yellow lab and i miss him! When we lived with my hubby's cousin her neice and nephew were beating him in the face with a stick and when we caught them and yelled and made them leave the dog alone, buddy (our dog) barked his head off because he wanted them back! he never bit snipped or anything at kids and he wasnt raised from a puppy around kids! He was one of the best dogs i have ever owned. If we ever get a house with a yard again I would love to get another one.
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 3:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• ""they are very smart and have whats called a soft mouth. thats been breed so they don't puncture the birds they bring back to their owners.""

Yeah, the Lab puppy that killed the infant in Texas last year had a really soft mouth............ please.
    Anonymous

• usually a puppy that grows into a larger dog like that won't be too bothered by a playing toddler. we have a 6 month old shepherd/husky mix, and our 18 month old pushes, pokes, pulls, etc on her all the time and she takes it in stride. the bigger dogs can usually handle it, especially if they're used to being with kids, which, if you get them young and raise them with kids they will be. its the smaller dogs that tend to be more aggressive about that kind of thing and who are more apt to get hurt. like a chihuahua. bigger dogs just look at a kid like "hello", but smaller dogs tend to be more aggressive and defensive.
    I've heard labs are great dogs, though. its just all about being a responsible owner and never leaving your kid alone with your dog, because no matter how well trained or whatever, a dog is still an animal.
    other than that you should be fine!
    best of luck!
    =D
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• oh, i will add that the landlord here owns a chocolate lab, and that thing guards all the children of the neighborhood cause he's used to watching after her grandsons, who are 1 and 3. he's real sweet and gentle with all of the kids here, even when they try to climb on him, lol!
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I love labs! My son is 25 months old, and we adopted a black lab about eight months ago. She had never been around children, so we were really iffy about having her around my son. I'm a dog lover, but when it comes to children you can't be too cautious. She's been a wonderful dog and hasn't shown the first sign of aggression. I wouldn't worry too much about your daughter hurting the pup, but it is wise to teach the child to be nice. If you play rough with a puppy; it'll play rough back. If you have the room and the means (and the commitment) then a lab would probably make a great addition to your family.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 1:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I have a lab and she makes a great jungle gym for my 20 month old. The dog came before the baby and we never had any issues with them. They play chase, wrestle (baby wrestles dog kisses) play fetch, cuddle. You name it and they do it together.
    army_wife_06

Answer by army_wife_06 at 1:28 AM on Jun. 26, 2009