is this really legitimate or is it a scam?

I just went online to post something on my craigslist account, i havn't beenon in a couple of weeks, but when i went to post it, it said that the account needs televerification. They want a good number to call or text a code to that i am suppose to put in the verify my account. Has anyone encountered this? I didn't want to do it and somehow charges get ran up on my phone bill or anything.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• They want to verify you are a real person and not a computer. I guess they've been having problems with computers spamming the site.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• i had to verify a security code with typing some letters in a box pbut they never asked for my phone number
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 12:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• i never received a phone call when i tried it.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 1:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

Tygermommanikki

Answer by Tygermommanikki at 1:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I have done the phone verification. It's legit. They just call you one time.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 2:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Yes. If you place a job ad, phone verification is required.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• They are doing this now because of all of the recent crimes by people on the site. It is to protect both you and the consumers. Its not a scam from the site.
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 8:53 PM on Jun. 24, 2009