How do I transition my son from pull-ups to only underwear?

My son is in big boy underwear all day long except for naps and when we go out. He does really well when wearing underwear but doesn't seem to care to pee while wearing the pull ups. I keep telling him that he still needs to use the potty (I think he just gets lazy). I'm weary about putting underwear on him when we go out because I really don't want a mess in the middle of the mall or church. What should I do???

andrewsmom2006

Asked by andrewsmom2006 at 12:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have the same problem with my daughter. She does exactly the same thing. I have been slowly taking her for short trips in her underwear and take extra clothes. The only way they are going to learn is if you take the risk. I just keep hoping she doesn't pee her pants in the middle of the store and embarass me. Good Luck!!
    tinaaly

Answer by tinaaly at 12:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• You just have to do it, and deal with any messes there may be. My son had an accident at the Dr's office yesterday, we just changed him into the extra clothes we had brought. I don't worry about any embarassment because most people will understand and they're little kids just learning. I did use pull-ups with my older two, but they were so lazy when they wore them, they knew to use the potty and how to use the potty, but they also knew that in a pull-up they could just pee. So I'm not buying any this time. I started Mon with potty training, we went through 6 pairs of underwear Mon and about 12 yesterday, but we got the little potty out and he loves using it. No accidents at all today, only using the potty. Good luck!
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• What about putting underwear on under the pull up ? If he wet them, he'd feel wet, but he wouldn't soak his clothes.
    Lanasmom

Answer by Lanasmom at 3:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I agree with the pp and say go all in or just keep using pullups and figure he isnt ready! I too went thru ALOT and still am going thru alot of underwear since my son cannot grasp the fact that he has to POOP in the toilet too lol! But as far as accidents they happen whether they are 2 3 or 10 sometimes you just suck it up and it is really nothing to be embarrased about if anything the kids are usually the ones that are embarrassed by it:( So pack along a few extra outfits and head out the door be sure to use the potty before leaving;) Good luck my friend and I wish you well with the pt'ing its a rough road lol!
    rehoneybee

Answer by rehoneybee at 6:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Just gotta suck it up and do it! Pick a weekend were you don't need to go anywhere for that changing would be difficult and go for it. Start with short trips. You are going to have to do it sooner or later and better to get it over with! If he can do good at home he can do good out. Have him potty before getting in the car and when you arrive visit the potty and give him the opportunity to try plus this reminds him that where ever you are does have a potty. That was a big thing with my son we would go out and his first question was does this store have a potty? We also did it were we took him somewhere he loved (the mall) and told him he had to stay dry because if he wet his underwear we would have to go home. We would ask him every 45 min or so if he needed to go and he was very good at it. He eventually learned to just ask.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• BTW I to am NOT buying pull-ups this time around with DD.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:53 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Once her became successfull with wearing regular underwear at home, that should have been it. Pull-ups just confuse things completely. The reason he wets in them is BECAUSE HE CAN! He doesn't feel any discomfort because they pull the wetness away from him. Just tell him that he is going to wear regular underwear when he goes to the mall. Take a small potty chair in the car in case he needs to go before you get there. Ask him frequently if he needs to potty while out shopping and take him. Wal mart does carry cloth underwear with a plastic pant on the outside. It is all one piece if he truly has difficulty. I bet he gets the toileting really fast once you get rid of the pull-ups.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 12:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2009