do you let your babies creep around on dirty floors?

I have a 10 month old ( first baby) and I am totally paranoid about letting her creep on floors where people have walked with shoes. I imagine that these shoes have walked on dog poop, dirty bathroom floors etc etc.... I would never put my hands down on the dirty surface so I can't imagine letting a little baby do it....just curious as to whether anyone else out there feels the same / different ...

dani809

Asked by dani809 at 12:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, when my babies were at that stage, I insisted that people take off their shoes when coming in (I had slippers for them to put on) and I washed and vacuumed the floors every day.

Answer by Bmat at 12:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Well I wouldn't let mine crawl around in filth, so I try to keep them pretty clean. But I do know that babies should be exposed to some germs and bacteria, bc it will help increase their immune system. Studies show babies raised in almost sterile environments have very little immunities and have more allergies and asthma than average. I guess its whatever you feel comfortable with, but if she comes back with dirty little knees I wouldn't freak out too much :)
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 12:17 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My family hasnt ever allowed shoe wearing in the house, so ive never really stressed about it that much...but i guess i would feel the same if people were constantly in and out of my house with shoes on....
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Okay dont let your baby crawl around in nastinees..but a little dirt is not going to hurt them and as long as the floor is cleaned up of all the stuff or as close as possible to things he/she can put in their mouth you are good. and baby needs to explore and get use to being NOT held all the time..and crawling is a stage of life. Dont rush it and let the baby explore. just wipe off hands/knees and feet (and I know you bathe your baby..so it will be okay to let the child explore a new way of getting around without mommy/daddy carrying
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 12:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• No shoes in my house but I used to just freak when at hotels/hotel rooms. I totally understand.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• We usually take our shoes off, but I'm also OCD about cleanliness, so I vacuum and mop every night! I don't want my daughter on dirty floors, either, esp because she's into eating everything in sight...YIKES!
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 12:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• thanks for your awesome responses ladies! Am I going nuts or am I noticing that baby's knees are getting darker from all the creeping around? (skin actually looks a little darker) I've started putting long pants on her since then ... but have any of you noticed that too (or is it just me being paranoid again)?

Also, did anyone ever act surprised when asked to remove shoes at your home? I get that a lot....maybe it's all in my delivery - I say "would you mind leaving your shoes here please? Sorry to ask, it's just that the baby is at the creeping stage ......" . Bmat - having slippers for guests is an awesome idea! I am going to do that too! Thanks!
    dani809

Answer by dani809 at 12:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• nothing wrong about being a good mother.. good job! Im glad to see alot of decent mothers on here!
    Anonymous

• You could just put her in a bubble while you're at it.

Are people's socks or bare feet any cleaner? Do you know where they've walked before they put their shoes on?

No, I never let my kids crawl in filth. But a normally walked upon floor is not filthy.

Yes her knees are darker. It's from rubbing on the floor whle she's crawling. As soon as the skin on her knees gets a little tougher, you won't even be able to tell.

If you never asked peopel to remove their shoes at your home before, and you are now...you should expect strange looks. And blaming it on the baby...yeah, you should expect strange looks. If you said, "I just had the carpets cleaned" people would understand. But just because the baby is crawling, especially if they didn't have to remove their shoes before, yeah, expect looks.

However, they should be polite enough to respect your wishes since it is your house.
    Anonymous

• My MIL is weird about her shoes. she absolutly refuses to go barefoot. they live on a farm so I hate it that she wont take her shoes off before coming in my house. My baby isn't even crawling yet but I have hardwood floors that literally take an hour and a half to clean so it highly irritates me that she tracks dirt and mud across them . Gah! It is your home, you have the right to ask people to remove their shoes for whatever reason you see fit. That being said, it will not hurt to let your baby crawl on carpet that hasn't been vacuumed for 2 or 3 days :) I wouldn't necessarily put them down in the public restroom though ;)
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 1:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2009