How much gray hair is too much?

I'm 37 and I'm, starting to see more gray hairs. My hair is pretty dark, so the gray stands out. I am wondering at what point I should start coloring my hair.

At what point did you or will you start coloring your hair to hide the gray?

TweenAndTwinMom

Asked by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Licensed cosmetologist here. You could go with the hi-liting...but with your hair being a darker color, it would be a lot of work to keep the hi-lites fresh and keep the gray hid. IMO....gray hair is beautiful. A natural shiny gray is a wonderful color. If you are dead set on coloring your hair, maybe try some lo-lites. Try a rich red, mahogany, auburn. That would also be less damaging to your hair since the lo-lites would be using so much bleach as would the hi-lites. Good luck!
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 9:55 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• You don't have to hide it if you don't want to.
    Anonymous

• you know, I don't know that I will dye my hair once I start getting grays. I guess it depends on how I feel about it when it happens. I've never put any type of color in my hair, not even highlights or anything, because I just never had the urge. I don't think there is a such thing as "too much" gray. I think it looks great on some women && I see it as a sign of wisdom. So you don't have to hide it unless you just want to.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Thanks Anon 11:19 - I think gray can be very attractive. I just don't want to be mistaken for my toddlers' granmother any more than I already am!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:26 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My grandma has never dyed her hair to my knowledge. She has a beautiful white gray tho. My dad has salt-n-pepper hair & I love it too. All I can suggest is to do what makes you the most comfortable. :)
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 12:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• if you want to hide your gray hair i think you should try highlights...
    dont coler it all...i think highlight is better but to make sure id rather ask an expert for that...
    but its so easy to change colors anyway,so...its up to you then.
    cos i am the one who did my hair so if i dont like the colors i changed it ryt away.you just have to pick good hair color brands.so that your wont get dry...
    joaniane

Answer by joaniane at 1:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2009