• In the Spotlight:

A question about the pentecostal religion

Are all true pentecostal churches strict with the long hair and the skirts? The reason I am asking is because I am confussed about this church I visited the other day. They said they are pentecostal but not everyone was wearing skirts and some of the women had short hair? So I guess what I am asking is If they are of the pentecostal religion? And if they are whats the diffrence between the stricter pentecostal churches? Please nobody be mean I really do want some help....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe that Pentacostal theology recommends a direct relationship to God & thus would lean towards letting individual members decide for themselves on such things. Obviously some pressure their members to conform to that standard more than others. I don't think that whether the women are required to wear skirts & not cut their hair would be the standard for determining whether they are a "true" Pentacostal church or not.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I grew up in the pentecostal church. First I would like to explain the pentecostalism is only a reference used meaning we have had the experience the 120 people had in the upper room on the day of Pentecost Acts 2:4. Some churches us the standard of no hair cutting pertaining to the scripture in 1Corinthians Chapter 11.. and do not wear pants for the sake of modesty. Every church is different. Some believe that as long as you have hair it is your covering short or not, just don't shave it off. and you can wear pants as long as it is in modesty. I hop that helps.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• hope*
    ptomom678

• No, at least it wasn't like that when I was a kid.

My grandparents are pentecostal, and my grandma has had short hair almost her entire life. She wears dresses most of the time, but that's only because that's the era she grew up in (30's and 40's).

You'll find a great variation of what people think you should do.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Honestly I have a very limited knowledge of the Pentacostal theology. I do know however that like with other branches of Christianity there are many paths under this one title. While Stricter paths MAY require a certian dress and appearnce not all do. This means that sometimes you will hear it's a must while others don't agree... The basic pentacostal beliefs revolve around their connection and relationship with God. As for what I know that doesn't require special clothing...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• The basic pentacostal beliefs revolve around their connection and relationship with God

You need to finish.

The basic pentecostal beliefs revolve around their connection and relationship with God... through the power of the Holy Ghost.

ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 12:45 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• There are a lot of churches that will call themselves "Pentecostal" but aren't really a part of the true Pentecostal theology.

Basically Pentecostals hold to these basic tenets:
    -They follow the "fundamentals" of Christianity and adhere to the Bible more literally than other groups.
    -Salvation by faith through grace. Some believe in Predestination, some believe in free-will-only.
    -Communion and Credobaptism by Immersion.
    -The gift of healing. Meaning the literal gift of healing a medical condition through the Holy Spirit by laying of hands and prayer.
    -The gift of "spritual" tongues.

Other things such as church government, the role of women in the church, foot washing, rules about clothing and personal conduct ect. are on a church-by-church basis.

Hope that helps! (no, I'm not Pentecostal so I may be mistaken about a few things here or there).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• i grew up pentecostal - dad was a pastor. Originally all pentecostal churches pretty much taught the same thing regarding the clothes.. skirts only, no make-up, etc. I grew up not being allowed to wear pants. You have COGIC, Assembly of God, United Pentecostal Church, Pentecostal Holiness are a few of them etc. COGIC and Assembly of God no longer teach against pants, make-up etc. Unted Pentecostal, Apostolic, etc. still teach no pants, no make-up etc. Pentecostal Holiness that i've been to do not teach against pants and make-up but have been to other Pentecostal Holiness churches where it is skirts and no make-up. So, it really depends on the pentecostal church you go to.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Well, the "stricter" (as you called them, not the word I usually use, but I'm trying to be respectful) ones really aren't much different in their beliefs and teachings, except for things like apparel. Or at least that's what I've learned from observation. I live in an area that is dominantly Christian, specifically Pentecostal (or at least that's what about 70% of the churches around here are, out of like 250). Plus, I was raised Pentecostal, but the less crazy kind (or at least they were less crazy in some respects).
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 9:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My church doesn't really care about that sort of thing. If you look at my profile you'll see that my dh and I don't really fit the "churchy" mold lol!
    Wifey2Watson

Answer by Wifey2Watson at 9:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2009