he wont stop whining!!

my son whines about EVERYTHING! if im busy making food he whines for me to pick him up, he whines when everyone's too busy to play with him, he whines when he doesn't get his way, he whines if a toy is stuck and he cant get it out of his box. how can i stop this? i try to keep him busy and i make time to play with him when im not busy but sometimes i just can't give him my full attention. is this something im just gonna have to put up with?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ignore it. As long as you pay attention to it he will continue to do it. Just ignore it. And yes, sometimes you will just have to deal with the whining. I walk away from my son when he whines. I tell him that I will talk to him when he wants to talk like a 4 year old. But if he's whining I won't talk to him.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• you have to discipline him in some way for it. If you just distract him, you're not teaching him that it's not ok && he's just going to continue doing it, because it's gets your attention && gets him what he wants.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• How old is he..? you can't let it keep going on. By not addressing you you are adding to the stress and sending the singal that it is okay for him to do this behavior. You can handle it in a number of ways.

1. get down to his eye level and tell him that whinning is not away you get something..and then leave it at that.
    2. tell him that, you can see and hear him but you are going to give him the toy/drink ect. until he stops the whinning and uses his words. Otherwise he isnt going to get what he wants until he ask for it without whinning.
    3. sit him in a timeout/chill out spot in the house until he stops whinning. Making him sit somewhere he will get bored of it, and should stop..as long as you keep up with it. If he starts to whinn tell him ( I think you need to sit and think about why you are whinning..

As long as you stick with the steps this will stop..belive me it helps as long as you dont give into the whinning
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 12:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• You have to let some of it go even though it drives you nuts. But do let him know to stop whining that you have to do what you have to do and you will make play time for him when you are done. My son does the same thing when I am busy cooking dinner. I tell him to stop whining and that I am making him dinner so he can eat. He listen a little. Over time they will start to understand what no whining means and will stop when it doesn't work. It's normal, annoying, but normal.
    Anonymous