What's in your roots?

I've recently taken on the task of putting together my family history. A couple of lines I've been able to follow back to the 15th c, others are like doing a puzzle in the dark w/o the picture! LOL

BUT, already I've uncovered some interesting things: There have been at least 3 murders & one murderer in my family, loose ties to famous "outlaws", employees of kings & presidents, politicians, judges, drs, there are spots where it doesn't quite "fork" like it should (can you hear the banjos? I can LOL), instances of couples splitting up, then marrying their ex's siblings (fun Christmas' there! LOL), and one man who seems to have had a good life --- then died alone on a poor farm (still piecing that mystery together).

So, what about you? 6th cousins with a movie star? Great-aunt run the best ...*ahem*..."boarding house" in town? Gramps in good with the mob? Great uncles' inlaws run off with the circus?

Laura1229

Asked by Laura1229 at 12:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My Greatgram was a Lee as in General. My Great Great Grandpa was first cousins to president Taylor...it is my mothers maiden name.
    Anonymous

• My Grandma's father rode for a time with The Dalton Gang, but he had no idea they were killers at the time. Her father was also the Sheriff of Oklahoma before it was a state. Right off hand, that's all I can think of.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 12:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My fiance's gram's cousin's wife was some band guy's cousin.... I think it was a drum guy from that band that made the cherry pie song, for some reason I can't remember their name.
    Anonymous

• Well I am not sure if anyone knows who Johnny Appleseed was but his name is John Chapman, which is my Family name! He was a great great great Uncle or something!! Thats all I have!!! LOL
    Diana44

Answer by Diana44 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I love family history!

My great grandfather was a bootlegger during the prohibition. My parents live where he did, and we recently figured out that the "smokehouse" where they were supposed to smoke meat was about 4 times the size it should have been. That's probably where he stored liquor. He made tons of money that way and that has been passed to my grandparents as of now. They are still alive and they have it tucked away.

My grandmother and her sister were twins, and they married my grandfather and his brother who were also twins. Their children are double cousins, as close in blood relation as brother and sister.

And I recently found out that one of my aunts had a baby at a very young age and gave it to her much older sister and her husband. I didn't know until recently that he wasn't her biological child.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Wow! That is a very interesting family history, OP!

I don't think mine was exciting as all that, but I do have facts of heritage and locations, as well as, certain names, birth dates, and birth places on my father's side. I am the great-great-granddaughter of a full-blooded Blackfoot who married an English woman.

I don't have as much on my mother's side, but I plan on researching when I can because all I know is that we are Scotty, according from my Grampy, and I remember relatives visiting from Scotland. I was so enthralled with their speech! They didn't dress in kilts or use family plaids like we see on tv or read in books, though.

We were able to trace my husband's family heritage and found that his is the sept of the clan Richardson in Edinburg (Scotland).

We want to visit there someday.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 1:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• the only thing i know is my great uncle is a famous singer in hawaii and its so funny cuz i loved listening to his music and when i told my grandma (before she passed) she was like you do know thats your great uncle right?! i had no idea and a lady i use to work with back in the day has met my uncle and actually had her ukulele signed by him!
    kuuipo317

Answer by kuuipo317 at 3:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2009