• In the Spotlight:

Am I making the right decision?

My girls (7 & 8 1/2) started gymnastics in Sept. In March my younger daughter got invited to join team (I knew she would). It means going all summer 2 times a week, 1 night for 2 1/2 hours & 1 for 2 hours. It's almost $300 for the summer then starting September is still 2 nights for at least 2 hours & $100 a month. Don't get me wrong, money is alot (besides paying for the actual competions and any travel) but more is the committment. Our thoughts are that she really wouldn't be able to do anything else. At this level we woudn't have too much travel but it would come. My thought is for her to do it for fun & fitness, maybe in middle school go for chearleading (school team) and use the time & money now to enjoy being a kid. Amusement parks, local activities hopefully a disney trip soon. I overheard moms yesterday say how they're going broke doing it. Am I making the right choice or am I letting my little girl down? Thanks.

amystephan

Asked by amystephan at 12:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• How does she feel about it? Talk to her. You may find that while she enjoys it, it's really not that big a deal to her. And if you explain her options (she can do this OR she can do this, this, this, and this), that may also influence how she feels. In the end, though, as hard as it is, even if it is letting her down, if you can't do it, you can't do it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I think you have to ask yourself if your daughter will look back at this as an adult and wish you'd pushed her to keep doing it. If she's good enough, she could retire at 16-24 and have enough money for life... so technically, you'd get paid back. How much does she enjoy it? Is she always talking about it? Does she know that she could be in the olympics one day, and does that interest her? If my kid wanted to go to the olympics, who am I to ruin that chance over money? It's only money after all.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 12:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Personally, I would just keep it as it is --- something fun for them to do. What's the point of the "team"? To compete? That kind of takes all the fun out of it.

And it just doesn't sound right --- they "invited" you to join the team --- roughly translates out to the "invited" you to pay them thousands more $$.

Think 20 yrs down the road when you're kids are grown. Are they going to wish they'd had MORE time in gymnastics under the pressure to win? Or are they going to have fonder memories of doing it for fun while having family vacations & time to be kids?

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I have to say I'd let her do it as long as she wants to and you can afford it. I guess i am partial to it because my daughter was in Gymnastics for 3 yrs then went to cheer. We all loved going to competitions and she stayed in till she was a Junior in High school. My daughter never was a cheerleader in school, she went to a competitive gym. School is just so political and this was much more fun.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I'd lean towards not doing the gymnastics because of the economic times. They make it uncertain for everyone and starting doing the team means she has to disappoint herself and others if she has to quit next year or even during this school year for some reason. It is just too big a burden on the family to be one person's expense. She might express being let down - maybe - but lots of us had those disappointments as children and are no worse the wear for it. And I'm sure there's many we don't even remember.
    Bloom4Christ

Answer by Bloom4Christ at 4:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• For me it would depend on how into it she is and how badly she wants to go . If its something she is not that serious about, then don't bother. But if she has a passion for it, then let her go for it.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 11:19 AM on Jun. 25, 2009