being induced

im being induced on monday what is it like to be induced i have never done this before???? how bad is the pit??i keep hearing bad things about it...

wiggsbabe

Asked by wiggsbabe at 12:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Every womens experience is different....for me it brought contractions too close together too quickly, so they slowed the drip down, then the contractions stopped. I was in induced labor for 15 hours, was stuck at 5cm for 10 of those and eventually had a c-section!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:45 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• It.s just stronger because it is medically induced. The meds force the contractions and make everything go a bit faster. It can shorten labor but it starts hurting sooner. It didn't hurt more really just seemed longer of course if it is your 1st you wouldn't know about how long it hurts anyway. LOL
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:49 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I was induced with my second son, it was a relief for me to have the labor progress at a faster rate. I was in labor for 17 hours without progressing before being induced, I have had 4 kids and he is the only one that I had to be induced with. He was also the quickest recovery from birth, I went back to work at 4 weeks instead of 6
    jjross

Answer by jjross at 12:49 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• the pit? as in pitocin? not to scare you or anything but i really thought my induced labor was entirely tolerable until they gave me pitocin and then it was terrible! i had my water broken when i was 8 days over due. i would ask them to start there and wait as long as you can befor they give you pitocin, theres a chance you wont even need it. and when they tell you its no different then the ocitocin that your body naturally produces dont beleive them lol tell them you dont want it and stand your ground! other than that good luck mama! =)
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 12:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• If you plan on getting an epidural then you won't feel the contractions caused by pit. :) I loved being induced. I had a wonder L&D
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 12:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• pitocin causes contractions to come VERY strong VERY often, and makes them VERY intolerable to the baby. Thats why a LOT of inductions end up in C-sections.
    I mean, sure you COULD get the epidural to take away YOUR pain... (if it works) But your baby will feel the strong hard contractions THE ENTIRE TIME.
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• What happened to Mom2Jack04 is VERY typical.

Basically the pitocin is FORCING labor on your body and baby, both are NOT ready yet. You body FIGHTS the induction to protect the baby. The pitocin causes the contractions to be too strong and hard on your body and baby, the baby will usually go into distress, and a lot of doctors see it as on opportunity to take you for the c-section.

Tell your doctor NO to the induction, YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO TELL THEM NO. (of course they will try to play the "dead baby" card to get YOU to conform to THEIR SCHEDULE.... but it is 100% SAFER and HEALTHIER for you and baby to wait until the baby decides to be born.)
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 2:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2009