If you exclusively breastfeed, does your husband/partner get up to feed baby in the night?

So I've been exclusively b'fing my DD for 16 wks now. She still gets up every 3 hrs. to eat at night (sometimes more just to cry:( and I have been getting up with her all these times. Both DH and I work full-time. Anyway, b/c I'm sick I had DH give her a bottle at the 3 am feeding last night. It took FOREVER. He had to heat the bottle while she cried the whole time. It was so much less efficient than when I just get up and feed her. How do you work this out if you ebf? Do you just get up all night with your baby? I co-slept in the beginning but I don't want to do that anymore and she likes her own bed anyway. Thanks.

danielp

Asked by danielp at 12:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Unfortunately no. Its always been me. My son is 15 months old, and I am four months pregnant. I have never pumped a bottle. Only breastfed straight from the tap. I wish I could get more help, weather with the baby or the house. But thats a big wish. lol.

LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Men are useless LOL. Hope you feel better.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 12:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My son is 4 wks and I ebf. I get up with him at night, but my DH takes him for a little bit when he gets home and when I take a shower. He also makes dinner and cleans up.Hang in there it will get better and congrats on bf your duaghter will thank you in the end.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 12:59 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• since your hubby cant wxactly nurse, discuss other things he can do to help out. And maybe saturday mornings you feed her and then get to go back to sleep for a few hours while he is on baby patrol. Hang in there, she will start sleeping through the night eventually!
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 1:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• He does help with a lot of other things and he's happy to get up with her in the night, it's just that feeding her a bottle seems to be a huge hassle when I can just breastfeed.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I just roll over and let her nurse...we cosleep and sleep better that way. I'm lucky that I get to stay home with her so I don't make dh get up
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Why don't u just pump right before bed...the bm is fine at room temp for 10 hrs according to lansinoh. So when she wakes up he can just grab the bottle. Just an idea.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I EBF my son, and never pumped (I couldn't), and he never had any formula. Even with DH working full time, he felt he was responsible to help me out, even if he couldn't feed the baby through the night. Any time DS woke, DH got up and got him, changed his diaper, then gave him to me to nurse, then laid DS back in bed when we were done. When he was home in the evenings, he'd also handle all the diapers and burping for me. The only thing he never did was a bath - he was scared of wriggly wet babies!

There are ways Dad can help out, even in the middle of the night and when you aren't using any bottles. You just have to talk it out and work out what's best for you.
    BearsMommy

Answer by BearsMommy at 3:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• i always got up with her cause men are useless. Lol. Co sleeping makes it the easiest. No impatient crying baby, no waking hubby, hardly waking yourself, everyone wins. If she likes her own bed, you can just put her right next to yours and bring her in to the bed to nurse. You won't even have to get up. Then she can go back to her bed and have her space.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I do all the night feedings, dh just does not have control of his temper in the middle of the night, lol. He does a lot during the waking hours though, so it evens out.
    kttycat84

Answer by kttycat84 at 12:03 AM on Jun. 25, 2009