pet odors???

Ok, so my mom has an older incontient dog, and she refuses to put him down. The dog has pooed and peed all over her living room carpet and the landlord is pissed. Not that i blame the landlord. However, the landlord has given them a period of 2-3 days to get the house/ carpet in better shape. Especially the odor. I really want to help my mom out as much as possible. What is a good carpet cleaner for pet stain/ odor? Cheaper would be better, if posible. I was thinking that if she scrubbed the carpet good, used a towel to sponge up the excess "liquid", put fans on it to let it dry overnight, then used the arm and hammer baking soda pet oder remover powder stuff that you sprinkle on the carpet, let it sit for a few hrs, then vacuum it up....does this sound like it might work??? what have you guys found to work???

raineslibramom

Asked by raineslibramom at 12:53 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Home & Garden

• sounds good to me also try having fans in the widows faceing out to suck out the air in the house and try going to a store ( home depo lowes shaws hannafords ) and ask if they have steam cleaners to rent. they work great. and after the rugs are cleaned a fresh coat of paint just a quick coat good luck....(:
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 12:57 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Ok, first you are going to have to get a carpet machince and clean it... they can be rented fairly cheap at most ace's and other hardware type stores...
    Also bc this dog is going to continue to do this, they do make thick pads and I would make a corner for the dog for this purpose off carpeted areas..
    After cleaning the carpet get OdoBan and soak the carpet areas, and let air dry. I stand by this stuff is works sooo good...
    Deep pet stains and odors are hard enough to get out let alone to keep them out, OrdoBan will do this you can find this at large warehouse stores...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I agree with the steam cleaner ... then you are going to use some serious Lysol or something. That's the best solution other than replacing the carpet.
    CJsMom812

Answer by CJsMom812 at 9:59 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I would put vinegar on the spots before shampooing the carpet to neutralize the ammonia from the urine. It is also a very good deodorizer and kills bacteria as well.
    learnteach

Answer by learnteach at 7:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Until she moves, please keep the dog in the kitchen or bathroom on a hard surface floor and use those pads from the pet store. Also, get a cheap video there about crate training - when she isn't there or playing with the dog, she should put him in a crate - they feel safer there, like it is their personal cave. If urine has soaked the carpet pad underneath, the smell may only come out temporarily.
    learnteach

Answer by learnteach at 7:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2009