So, is the bible literal? Or Not??

As someone that doesn't view the book as "holy" I tend to get a list of scriptures on each of my posts (and in my daily hate mail) about how the bible says I am wrong.

Now, here's my question. Why is it that PARTS of the bible like not to suffer a witch or homosexuality is wrong are taken as 100% literal and not left up for personal interpretation. While other parts like Stoneing an unfaithful wife, and beating your children is seen as something to be interpreted and changed to fit our lives today?

Why can't it be all one or all the other... Either the bible is meant to be literal or not?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because the hypocrites couldn't function that way.
    Anonymous

• i believe that it is definitly literal .. my opinion =)
    xohcannizzo

Answer by xohcannizzo at 1:03 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I view the bible as a book of stories that should be used for guidance and not taken literally. How did god talk to all these people back in the day and give them power to all of that stuff, then it just stopped and doesn't happen anymore?
    Anonymous

• i think the bible is just stories, and not to be taken literal, but im not a christian

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 1:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• A person that does not view the bible as a HOLY book will never see or be able to interpret the bible as it is meant to be. A believer who follows the bible and believes what it says understands it and follow it. My question to you OP: Why do you bother reading a book you don't believe in and attempt to interpret it? You can't. You will only understand and value its content if you have a heart to believe and repent. The bible is to lead you into repentance and eternal salvation not for entertainment.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 1:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• AMEN! ptomom678!
    Anonymous

• xohcannizzo ~ So does that mean that it's 100% literal?? Do you think it's okay to beat a child or stone your wife is she strays? Or what about cut out an eye if you look at something you shouldn't?? That's my question. Why are those things looked at wrong or to be interpreted??

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Depends on which answer is convenient at the time
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Answered at 1:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 by: ptomom678 My question to you OP: Why do you bother reading a book you don't believe in and attempt to interpret it? You can't. You will only understand and value its content if you have a heart to believe and repent. The bible is to lead you into repentance and eternal salvation not for entertainment.

How can that even seem logical? It only makes sense if you believe it first? Now that is convenient.

Theological texts can teach people a great deal without them believing in it literally or otherwise.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• So ptmom678 does that mean that I can't/shouldn't even try to read a novel from a man's POV- cuz it isn't something I have experienced or believe in?? And if we are so incapable of understanding the bible- then why spew all those verses at us daily and in posts to prove your point- if we won't understand them- how can you prove your point using them???!!! Just sayin'...
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2009