pet odor?? what is a good stain/odor remover??

Ok, so my mom has an older incontient dog, and she refuses to put him down. The dog has pooed and peed all over her living room carpet and the landlord is pissed. Not that i blame the landlord. However, the landlord has given them a period of 2-3 days to get the house/ carpet in better shape. Especially the odor. I really want to help my mom out as much as possible. What is a good carpet cleaner for pet stain/ odor? Cheaper would be better, if posible. I was thinking that if she scrubbed the carpet good, used a towel to sponge up the excess "liquid", put fans on it to let it dry overnight, then used the arm and hammer baking soda pet oder remover powder stuff that you sprinkle on the carpet, let it sit for a few hrs, then vacuum it up....does this sound like it might work??? what have you guys found to work???

raineslibramom

Asked by raineslibramom at 1:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Pets

• Go to your local pet store and pick up a gallon jug of their Nature's Miracle. Its about 19.99 and some stores have generic brands as well (like Petco and Petsmart both I believe) for 14 or 15$. That is the BEST thing ever! I have used it, and I have 4 dogs, 3 cats and used to have 2 ferrets as well! Good Luck!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 1:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I agree with the Nature's Miracle.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Pet Out from Walmart works pretty well and smells nice.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 5:58 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• first id try vingar and water, urine-b-gone i think its called, there is another one i use a lot...i forgot what its called
    Kelli.and.Ellie

Answer by Kelli.and.Ellie at 9:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• i love these two products one you can only get in a small bottle and hard to find which is called pet paws the other is get serious. that stuff is amazing but it still doesn't get cat urine smell or stains out for too long but it does everything esle. they both have money guarantee. i picked up both at petsmart. i've used nature's miracle and i didn't like it one bit. i always get recommended to use and always so no! and won't buy especially adter having found my new favorites.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Febreeze is my crack. Try that after doing all of that stuff too
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 1:51 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My mom got me some stuff called solumel from an online store called melaluca that sells natural products and oh my it is sooooo amazing it took cat pee out of the carpet and i didn't think anything could!! It seriously blew me away. Only thing is its a little pricey but man does it work. I use it for all kinds of cleaning and its an amazing stain remover too.
    MommasHereBaby

Answer by MommasHereBaby at 1:55 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• oooh, I almost forgot...There's this stuff that the dollar stores sell called "A's Awesome cleaner". It's $1.00 for the spray bottle and $3.00 for the litre (?) bottle. This stuff works on EVERYTHING! From pet stains, scratches on the floor, laundry, carpets, you name it!
    I was "puppy sitting" for a friend of mine and needless to say, puppy has some reall leaky plumbing. Well I borrowed a shampooer from a friend and used this stuff, AND THEN used Febreeze fabric softener, OMG, It worked!!!
    Remember, first use the "A's" then about 2-3 cap fulls of the fabric softner and hot as you can get water. Also, Febreeze "plug in's" are AWESOME!(light some candles a few hours before landlord comes over and throw some cookies in the oven too!)
    All this was done for under ten bucks too!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 10:56 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• OK, except for the plug ins, They're kinda pricey but WORTH IT!
    Starfire73

• OH YA! Last comment, I promise....
    Has she thought about investing in some "doggy diapers"?
    My mom had a 17 year old dog that did this. OYE! It was a lot of work helping her with pet odor control!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 11:04 AM on Jun. 25, 2009