What age do you start giving your child small chores and do you give allowance?

My daughter will be 3 soon. IS 3 to young to start chores? I feel that she is more than capable of helping me pick up her room. I am just lookin for some ideas on what chores your young children do, if you give allowance, and if so how much? Thanks!!!

DAH02

Asked by DAH02 at 1:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• I started having my boys pick up their room as soon as they were old enough to walk!
    Now my boys are 4yrs and 3yrs and they clean their room all by themselves. I do not give an allowence for cleaning their room. I do give an allowence for other chores. They also help me wipe the counters, sweep and mop the floor, load and unload the dishwasher, put away their clean clothes. ect ect.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:12 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My daughter is three. She picks up her toys and carries her plate in to the kitchen. We will add things as they become age/skill appropriate. We will begin allowance at 4 but it won't be tied to chores. Mommy and Daddy aren't paid to contribute to the household and she won't be either. It will be a little "walkin' around" money. I hope she makes mistakes and blows it all on something frivilous a few times so that she learns to budget. I buy her things at christmas and birthday, that's it. If we go to the store i tell her specifically what we are there for and she doesn't ask for things. If/when she does I will ask her if she wants it badly enough to spend HER money on it. If she doesn't, why should I spend mine?
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 1:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I have 3 little ones. Ages 8, 5 and 12 months. I started having them pick up their rooms at 2. My 8yr old dusts, helps fold the towels and my 5 yr old takes out the trash, sometimes vaccums and my 12 month old likes to put her toys away in her basket and put her bowls and cups in the dishwasher. The 2 boys get an allowance once a month of $20.00 each.
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My kids started doing chores around the time they turned 2. My 3yo has chores that she does...cleaning her room, putting laundry in the basket, taking dirty dishes to the sink, cleaning up messes she made in other parts of the house/yard, emptying the kids' plastic dishes from the dishwasher, etc. She's also learning to put her clean clothes away (my other kids learned when they were 3 also).
    None of my kids get allowance because these chores are part of taking care of the house and we do that as a family. No one gets paid for it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Mine are 5, 3 and 2 years. They all have little chores. No, they do not receive an allowance. It is expected that as part of our family they will help out around the house.

Not to mention I am the only female in a family of 5. I'll be darned if I am going to spend the next 18 years picking up after FOUR males! NO WAY!! lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Mine will be 3 in a month and she has a chore chart. Her "chores" include feeding her fish (though it's my job to make sure it is done so they don't starve), using good phone manners, using good table manners (age appropriate expectations), using the potty (no damp panties), picking up her toys. She gets a star for each one. If she earns 25 stars in a week, she gets ice cream on Sunday afternoon. She loves it!

And no, as she gets older and gets chores like vaccuming, dusting, etc she will not get an allowance. It is an expected part of living in a family. Everyone contributes. She will get an allowance but it won't be tied to chores.

This is the chore chart we use... we really like it.
    http://www.amazon.com/I-Can-Do-Reward-Chart/dp/B001BX0BF4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1245869947&sr=8-4
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:59 PM on Jun. 24, 2009