Is 6:00 to early to a child to bed?

single_mama09

Asked by single_mama09 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would say whatever works for you and your schedule. As long as he is getting enough sleep and sleeping well and not too much. Here it's still very light outside even at 8:00 when I put my 1 year old to bed. She gets about 12 hours of sleep each night and takes 1-2 short naps during the day. 6:00 wouldn't work for me!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• No such thing! My son goes to bed at 6:30pm and sleeps until 6am. It's a good schedule for both of us. As long as they and yourself are getting good sleep then really any schedule works. As soon as your child shows signs that they are tierd it's bedtime. As kids get older they need a little less sleep so they start staying up a little later. I bet most people only wished they could get their kids to go to bed at 6pm.
    Anonymous

• If it works for you.

Wouldn't work here, though. That's supper time! lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:20 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I think so. But it depends on how early you want the child to wake up and how many naps the child takes during the day.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:26 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• That would never work for us, after dinner @ 6:00 we go on a walk, play and then it's bath time. If she went to bed at 6pm she'd be up at 4am. No thank you! But hey if it works in your house great. My Daughter is 12mo and goes to bed no later than 9pm and wakes up no later than 8am.
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 1:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My son doesn't go to bed til 9:30-10 and doesn't wake up til 9 :) Thats perfect for the both of us!! I work part time second shift so by the time I get home and in bed I still get my 8 hours of sleeP! But whatever works for you. But I enjoy having my son up and doing everything with us. We play outside til about 9 at night.. He loves being outside and its too hot to take him out during the day!! :)
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Not if it works for your child and your family.
    For example, most toddlers need anywhere from 11 to 14 hours of sleep a day. So, if she gets 12 of those at night and she has to be up by 6am in the morning, then 6pm at night is the perfect bedtime for her.

Mine goes to bed at 7:30, gets up at 7:30(ish) and takes one nap, usually about 1.5 hours. She's nearly 3 and that's been our pattern for the last 1.5 years. But I know how you feel... a neighbor has a little girl that is 9 months younger than mine and she is still outside playing long after mine is asleep. The mom has actually accused me of "forcing" my child to sleep too much. Sigh. There is no "force" to it... I put her in her room, she falls asleep. That's just a mom knowing what is best for HER child.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I think whatever works for the child and the family. My DH doesn't get home until 6:00 so that wouldn't work for us. My DD has had a bedtime of 9:00 since she was a couple weeks old. My husband likes to have alot of time with her at night and she also takes a 2 hour nap everyday and she is 3.5!
    saysmom

Answer by saysmom at 3:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• It's too early for ME and my dd, but if it works for you, go for it. There was a time that my dd (at that time 5 months old) would consistently get sleeping around 5:30pm. I'd give her a quick bath and a bottle, and she was asleep by 6pm! Now she goes to bed closer to 7:30pm (she's 12 months old).
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 4:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2009