how can i get my 21 month old walking??? i dont know what to do

me and my husband have tried everything and its getting hard with him not walking and now we are going to have a new baby in april and i would like him to be walking before the next baby does...

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is he crawling? Have you taken him to the doctor? Assuming he has no medical problems, why rush it? Trust me, once he starts walking you will be so much busier!!

I would just keep trying to encourage him to stand up and support his weight while he moves his legs. Usually they learn to crawl up on things like couches, and then the let go and stand there, which leads to the first steps. Encourage him to pull himself up and let go of whatever object he is holding on to. From there they will usually understand that walking is much faster than crawling. Also, let him crawl around without pants, my second one hated the feeling of the carpet on his knees, and he was walking by 10 months and running the show by 12.

Answer by sapient at 9:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• it sounds like he has developmental delay, most toddlers are walking by 18 months, at the latest. is he saying 10 words other than mama and dada? does he make eye contact? he may have a delay that therapy can fix in almost no time. i would talk to your pediatrician and see why he/she says. try placing favorite toys on the couch so he has to stand to reach them, them slide them down so he "cruises" along the couch. I also taught my daughter to walk using a helium ballon. she didn't have the confidence to walk alone, so i would hand her a balloon, and she would think it was holding her up.

Answer by trepsica at 9:54 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I agree that is a bit concerning. I would call his ped to schedule an evaluation. good luck and congrats on the new baby.

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 10:45 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• You should see a doctor coz this is definitely something worth worrying over

• is he rolling i would talk to the doc and also just do leg baby excersises with him

Answer by Patience1 at 11:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• At this point, it's time to contact your state/county's Early Childhood Intervention program for a free evalution. Evaluation and services via ECI is free until your child is age three. I can help you find the phone number for your state's ECI if you PM me through my profile. My daughter receives services through our state's ECI.

Answer by nell_brinkley at 3:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2008