WHAT DO I DO ABOUT MY SON'S ANGER ISSUES?

MY SON IS HAVING TROUBLE WITH HIS ANGER. HE HAS STARTED KICKING HIS
OTHER BROTHER IN THE PRIVATE AREA. I HAVE TRIED TIME OUT. TAKING THINGS AWAY FROM HIM AND SO ON. NOTHING WORKS. HE DOES HAVE A.D.D SO I AM NOT SURE IF THAT PLAYS A ROLE IN HIS ANGER OR NOT. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

sabcanton

Asked by sabcanton at 1:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• See your doc. Sometimes anger issues are a symptom of something else. In this house, it was a symptom of Asperger's Syndrome, and autism spectrum disorder. Once we had that figured out, we were able to help our son learn appropriate responses. It's not all sunshine and roses but it's a LOT better than it was.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:45 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• i agree with seeking your doctor's help. There could definitely be an underlying issue that you aren't necessarily aware of! If he has ADD, maybe his meds need to be adjusted, or maybe there's just something else that you need to look into. Even if the doctor says there is nothing else going on, it won't hurt to ask. As far as in the time being, what is he getting so angry about that he's kicking his brother. My son is 9 and at times has anger issues. What I don't always see is that his brother (6 years old) is picking on him and doing things to him to get him going. While we don't "allow" him to put his hands on ANYONE, we do try to provide him with outlets....going outside for a break, hitting a pillow, screaming in a pillow, or just simply talking!!
    yaya3129

Answer by yaya3129 at 2:45 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I just posted something similar to your situation yesterday in ' raising your spirited child' group. I too think you should speak with your Doc. GOOD LUCK!!
    mazomama

Answer by mazomama at 3:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• WOW...sorry to hear that is happening to you. My oldest (she is 7) has anger issues too. I don't know your entire situation, but I know my situation is very complicated. After my daughter's last violent incident....she was always violent towards me....when she started making threats and being violent towards her little sister (who is 2) I knew something had to give. I started reading a book called "redirecting your child's behavior" I think that is the title. i tried some of the suggestions in there and they worked. She also started seeing therapy.
    Ms.Maricel

Answer by Ms.Maricel at 6:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I don't mean this to sound rude at all, but you posted your question in all caps. Perhaps you are having your own struggle with anger and need to model calmer behavior for him.

That being said, ADD can definitely be playing a role in this and to help with that you can put him on a good diet. No refined sugar and no caffeine will do wonders for children with ADD. Also, a lot of recent research has shown that organic foods really seem to help ADD. The research suggests feeding your child only organic, hormone free dairy products, only organic fruits and vegetables, and as little prepackaged foods as possible. The study also says if the label has hydrogenated oil or high fructose corn syrup anywhere in the ingredient list to not give it to a child with ADD at all.

Finally, I find that when my DD gets agitated that turning off the TV and radio helps a lot. Sometimes our kids just need a little less stimulation.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:48 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I don't think the way someone types is an anger issue for a parent. You should try to do something special for him for his good behavior. Let him know he has a special place in your heart just for him. he may be going through a phase. Don't give up, just keep encouraging him to change the way he handles his anger.
    Some people have their own way of telling people things that are not in the right manner. do what is best and fit for the child and youself. do research and ask questions to the doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jun. 25, 2009