What's the difference between mucus plug and your water breaking?

So I feel really stupid for asking this question. I'm 38 weeks pregnant, but i don't know what's the difference between mucus plug and water breaking? I was assuming they were the same thing until someone said they lost their mucus plug at like 6 months and didn't have the baby yet. so yeah? Anyone can help me answer this. Gosh I do feel really dumb!!

Su-na

Asked by Su-na at 1:59 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• no they are completely different things, though both need to happen to have a baby. The mucus plug is just that... mucus that plugs the opening of the cervix to keep the baby from infection etc. As you dialate you loose some fo the mucus, and eventually all of it (although I suppose some may loose all of it at once). Also, you can loose some early on and your body can continue making more. The water breaking is the amniotic sac filled with fluid that breaks... usually soon before the baby is born and usally because the baby is putting a lot of pressure down there and breaks tha amniotic sac. Usually when it breaks its like your peeing (without the smell of pee). When the mucus plug comes out its mucusy, and there sometimes its some blood with it.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:03 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• btw you are not dumb :) I'm glad you asked the question. I did not even know what a mucus plug was until I went to birthing classes with my first child.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:12 PM on Jun. 24, 2009