Does your toddler eat well?

My 2 yr old daughter is a real pain when it comes to eating. Lately, it's been the worst, she does not want to eat anything and when she does she nibbles and then stops. She LOVES to drink so I've cut that back so she doesn't get full but still not much difference. I started giving her gummy bear vitamins to supplement in the mean time. I know she's not anemic because we just did a blood test and doctor said she seemed fine. Does anyone know of any supplement to increase appetite? Has this happened to anyone else and how did you overcome it?

Orchid7

Asked by Orchid7 at 2:17 PM on Jun. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try putting out acceptable-to-you snacks (I do a couple apple wedges, a few chunks of cheese) on a little plate for her to snack from while she plays, and see if she'll bite (pun intended.) Also, try not to give her too much food at once--I found that if I gave my daughter too much food at once, she'd just get upset (like it was too much pressure) and refuse to sit at the table. Good luck!
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• my 18 mo old son is the same way one day he will eat a certian food the next he looks at me like ur kidding right i am not eating that crap lol i just keep trying to find things he likes yesterday it was popcorn shrimp and today its leftover spaggetti... so its just some trial and error for him good luck
    lilmammaweisner

Answer by lilmammaweisner at 2:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• all mine went thru that face..my 2 yr old is right there now. it can get frustrating but it is completly normal. they get busy and entertained too quickly to sit down and HAVE to eat. some days are better than others here. i bought the kids carnation milk thing (lots of nutrients and vitamins) he loves the chocolate one and he thinks he is drinking something "not so good" and i feel better he is getting something!

it'll pass. i also give him things he likes.. chicken, ham, turkey, cheese ,yogurt, lots of fruits, cereal etc (little snacks) and he picks and chooses what he actually eats... i'm sure it'll get better my others went thru the same.
    mommy-2-3

Answer by mommy-2-3 at 3:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• My daughter does it too. She will go through days where she eats non stop and other when she eats here and there. She might be teething and she wont eat much if she is. She will eat when she is hungry i wouldnt be worried about it. I just try to give mine healthier foods so when she does eat its good for her!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 3:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• Sounds like very typical toddler behavior. When you can get her to eat, just make sure it's nutritious. Same applies to drinks. I found that giving my son his food first before giving him anything to drink did help. I also found that giving him too much at one time didn't help. A few bites at a time seems to work best. What you don't want to do is keeping running through choices at a meal until you find something she'll eat. Pick a menu and stick with it. She will eat when she's hungry. Toddlers won't actually starve, they just make us think they will!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• my son is 16 months and eats 1 time a day he dosent want to nothing at all succks
    steph17

Answer by steph17 at 7:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I guess i'm the odd mom out....my child eats everything i put in front of her...2nds and even 3rds sometimes.....i can't stop her from eating....she has her favorites....tomatoes, apples, grapes, cucumbers.......but she will eat ANYTHING
    Momma2Erica

Answer by Momma2Erica at 10:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2009